Xcode 9 and iOS Target Version '11.0'

retroed

I've recently developed an app that I tried submitting to the App Store (it's already on Google Play). Apple have changed their requirements just this month so that you need to build your app with iOS '11.0 SDK' or later. At the moment I am running Stencyl 3.4 b9279 with Xcode 8 and I can only build my app with target 10.2 SDK. I understand that I need Xcode 9 to build to a higher SDK, but my question is, will that work with Stencyl? Will I need to update to Stencyl 3.5? Are you guys successfully building apps with target iOS 11.0 or higher?

The reason I'm asking rather than just testing it out for myself is because if I want to update to Xcode 9, I have to update my whole Mac OS, and if I do that I may have to update hundreds of $ worth of programs (e.g. Logic, MS Office, Sibelius). So I'm not willing to try unless I'm certain it'll work.

Sorry if there is an obvious answer, I just want to get clarification on this since I can't find a straight answer in the forums.

Justin

Yes, Stencyl 3.5 works with the latest version of Xcode.

Sounds like you're in for a long and painful OS update. Good luck! I hope that updating your game ends up being less trouble than updating everything else. Let us know if you run into any troubles.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.

retroed

Let us know if you run into any troubles.

Hi Justin, thanks for the reply! I managed to download Stencyl 3.5 and Xcode 9 onto another computer and I tested out my app. Everything works except when I test it on my phone (iPhone SE), one of the sounds is being triggered twice. This is strange because this issue doesn't happen when I test on my phone from Stencyl 3.4 (Xcode 8) and it doesn't happen when I test on Flash Player or on the iOS Simulators from either Xcode 8 or 9. I haven't changed anything in the coding except the target version. Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

colburt187

Id be interested in the response to this as well, I have been hearing what sounds like a sf being triggered twice when testing in 3.5 on device. My sound is triggered by a collision.

retroed

Hi Colburt, do you know if this problem still exists once you export the game to the App Store? I'm ready to upload but the double triggered sound is a big issue for my app. FYI my sound is triggered on a "when created" block in a scene event.

colburt187

if it happens when testing on device then it will happen when its a live app. So is it only some sounds that are affected?

retroed

It happens every time one of my sounds is triggered, in a "when created > do every x seconds" block. It works fine on every simulator and on flash, and it was working on my device before I upgraded Stemcyl and Xcode. So could this just be a bug in the latest build? Do you know if there is a previous 3.5  build without the issue?

ceosol

What I found is that sound effects and music categories work differently in the newest version. Try calling it a sound effect, testing, and then calling it music and see if that changes/fixes the problem.

retroed

What I found is that sound effects and music categories work differently in the newest version. Try calling it a sound effect, testing, and then calling it music and see if that changes/fixes the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this didn't work for me. Any other ideas? I thought that I would try export it to Xcode and build the game from there to see if that solves the problem, but I'm getting too many errors when I try to archive the game.

Majora64

Awhile back I tried 3.5 but for some reason it broke some of my games and wouldnt compile to my phone even though 3.4 did. Could be optimization errors on my part but I was also on OS High Sierra which at the time was extremely buggy for me and eventually froze my computer to the point where I ended up wiping everything and going back to Sierra and 3.4. Ever since the downgrade I haven’t had problems, but I wanted to ask you what your experience with 3.5 is now and also what OS you’re on. Have you found upgrading to be beneficial or is it ok to just stick with sierra and 3.4 for publishing so long as xcode is up to date? I was told on discord to just sit tight for official 3.5 but wanted to get some more insight.  Thank you.

retroed

I'm having a few minor issues with 3.5, mainly the sound issue mentioned in this thread. If that gets fixed then I'll be happy, though I've only tested one of my apps so far.

Justin

I tested the sound that was messed up for retroed, and I found that there's only an issue with the first maybe .02 or so seconds. The problem here is too deep for us to try fixing ourselves. For a workaround, you can shift the sound to play a little bit later. Provide some silence at the beginning of your sound effect to warm up the sound player.

See the attached image. You can't really see it, but I added a tiny bit of silence at 0.000, and then the part of the sound that you really hear doesn't actually start until nearly .025 seconds later.

For Live Support: Join our discord channel and ping me @justin.