ZX Spectrum colour effect around player sprite

kierannolan

Hi folks,

Has anyone know if this kind of colour effect surrounding the sprites can be duplicated in Stencyl?

I can imagine having the sprite as a monochrome PNG with the fill colour set to transparent, but the challenge is having an clear area of 1 or 2 pixels around it that also removes the colour black from from the background, but leaves the remaining background colour(s)…

I know we can make way better looking stuff in Stencyl, but it's something I'd like to get going if possible…

Cheers!

Kieran

PS the game is Mighty Final Fight for ZX spectrum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVkhsFiqcW4

JeffreyDriver

What if you had the colours as a separate layer, and had your actors, backgrounds and tiles monochrome? The colour layer would sit at the front and use a blending mode.

Alternatively, I'm sure that you could do this with the Image API , but I'm not sure how to approach it.

merrak

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. How authentic do you want the result to be? JeffreyDriver's suggestion sounds like a good balance between simplicity and authenticity. If you want to go as far as to simulate attribute blocks and attribute clash, you may need to write something more elaborate.

Shaders sounds like a good way to go. You could also write a software solution using per-pixel bitmap operations. Normally those would be slow, but if you're also sticking to the 256x192 resolution then it should be fast enough.

kierannolan

Thanks for the suggestions Jeffrey and Merrak, it really helps me get an understanding of how this could work, cheers!