mobile game screen

Torona

Hello,

I wanted to know if i make mobile fighting game but what size should be characters and game background because every mobile screen is different so how character will adjust in screen

Majora64

Hello. App scaling can be daunting if it’s your first time but this article should explain it for you.

http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/mobile-app-scaling/

Torona

Could you help me bit more what screen size shadow fight.

Majora64

Id love to help but I don’t quite understand what you are asking. Are you asking what size you should make your scenes/ levels?

Scene size isn’t so important so long as you have selected a scale mode that works with your game but for the sake of keeping things consistent try to work with a good sizeable scene that will be able to translate nicely to whatever platform you’re developing on.

So for PC you can virtually have your scene/screen size  whatever but for mobile I typically keep my scenes no smaller than 320 x 480 or 480 x 320. My game scene is a weird 608 x 576 and my screen size is 560 x 320 and everything looks fine on mobile because my assets are properly scaled.

Most games use Scale to fit (full screen) which is what I can recommend for most games as I think it’s easiest to work with without having to adjust actor placement. As for scale you upload your assets in, If your scene is 480 x 320 then create your assets at 1920 x 1280 and import them at 4x. If you do not need 4x scaling you can upload at 3x or even 2x/1x (for more retro looking games). If you upload at 4x your scene size try to keep it consistent as uploading at a higher or lower resolution than your original resolution can either result in actors appearing too big/small or grainy and not sharp.

For your mobile game since it’s a fighting game I would keep the scene height at 320 and either set the width to 480 or if you plan on having wider levels where the fighters can roam then pick a longer width. For screen size set the height to 320 and set the width to 480 and adjust the width to something larger if youd like more to be displayed on screen(assuming your scene is wider than 480).  I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:27:27 am by Majora64 »