Stencyl 3.4 or 3.5?

peterson

Hey! Just wondering if I should start using 3.4 or 3.5?

I know I need a license to use 3.5 but I still would like to know the difference at this current time. I'm not really new to stencyl as I've used it to make games before so I don't really need to start with 3.4 to get familiar with it. I just want to start working on a game using the version best suited for uploading to the play/app store in a couple months from now.

Thanks!  :)

ViniciusAlves

I would like to know the community's thoughts on this too.

colburt187

The main difference is that 3.5 supports Xcode 9 which is needed to support the iPhone X. 3.5 scales correctly on the iPhone X and also has the block "Running on iPhone X".

There is not that much different in terms of building a game in 3.5 compared to 3.4. Most of the time when I open a game i made in 3.4 in 3.5, the only changes I need to make are button placements for the iPhone X.

There may be other differences that im missing, but so far I haven't noticed much else.

merrak

3.5 uses the newer OpenFL, but that appears to be more notable for desktop and HTML5 games.

RulezTeam

With 3.5 you can publish for android with API > 22, with 3.4 no, and Google (in a short time) will require to publish at least with api 26, so...

peterson

So what I'm hearing is 3.4 is fine but start building in 3.5 if I want iphone x support and if I want to avoid issues when publishing to iOS/Android. Also I imagine when updating a game from 3.4 to 3.5 there can be issues in some cases.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the replies!