Easy Location Share with Google maps

squeeb

Releasing on android this week!  Ios after i get the account :p
Made in stencyl
Simple sharing of your location and address with one button,   Sends your current address and your accompanying position on a google map
Map types- roadmap, terrain, satellite, and satellite hybrid
Google map zoom- 15-20
Open Weather for current weather, temperature, and wind speed/direction

Thoughts on colors layout features?  Looking for feedback to make this better.. itll be the backbone of my stencyl maps engine.. ill make more apps with this engine.. i have a few others in mind
Application
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K6PnrchU4OI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K6PnrchU4OI</a>

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:09:43 am by squeeb »

squeeb

here is a beta build if anyone wants to try it and give me some feedback on what else should be done before i publish it

i also added real life movement...(walk around with your device and your location updates on the map)  im still trying to perfect that.. let me know if its close!! haha

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:06:30 am by squeeb »

JeffreyDriver

I can see lots of potential for this. The sharing screen looks good. One thing I immediately thought of was the ability to quickly send an SOS to a previously defined mobile number. Maybe even automatically taking photos with all the phones cameras and sending them.

It could also be good if you get separated from your kids, for example on the beach. But talking about beaches, there's been so many times when I'm trying to find my mates on the beach and I'm on the phone to them and the conversation goes  "walk towards (X), then look towards (Y), and near the (Z) you'll see some guy." So this would be good so Google Maps could give you directions.

I can see lots of cool gaming possibility.

The UI for the application screen needs some refining,  but the buttons themselves relate to what they do. Would you be able to show two locations at once. For example, lets say someone shares their position, on the receiver's phone it would be good to see your own position, your friend's position, and info like distance. Obviously not as complex as Google Maps with routes etc., but just to give you an idea of where you are in relation.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

merrak

The idea is great. I'd definitely use it and, in fact, can think of plenty of times where I wish I'd had something like this. Trying to meet up with multiple people in a large, crowded area for example. I think there's a lot of potential.

The UI looks amateurish TBH. Not that I'm an expert in that area, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think giving the UI an appearance similar to the existing Android UI would help the app feel more 'integrated' with the rest of the phone: slightly smaller buttons, slightly thinner font, flat color with thin shadow, and higher contrast. I think the contrast is the most important part since the backgrounds (the maps) are going to be busy.

squeeb

The idea is great. I'd definitely use it and, in fact, can think of plenty of times where I wish I'd had something like this. Trying to meet up with multiple people in a large, crowded area for example. I think there's a lot of potential.

The UI looks amateurish TBH. Not that I'm an expert in that area, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think giving the UI an appearance similar to the existing Android UI would help the app feel more 'integrated' with the rest of the phone: slightly smaller buttons, slightly thinner font, flat color with thin shadow, and higher contrast. I think the contrast is the most important part since the backgrounds (the maps) are going to be busy.
Thank you for the feedback.. i agree it looks amateurish!  Thats mostly the reason ive posted about it now...  i have been trying to think of the best way to make it look better haha. Before stencyl i was limited to my xml knowledge and live wallpaper settings are pretty simplistic haha.. at least when i was making them..

Higher contrast?  Explain a little?

merrak

Higher contrast?  Explain a little?

The current buttons are black on a dark blue gradient. I have a hard time seeing the icons and can imagine if I were outdoors, it'd be a bit harder with glare. The black font would stand out better against a brighter blue. If you made the buttons a little smaller then you could draw them at 100% opacity without obscuring more of the map, which would also help them stand out.

Something else to think about: I think it'd be helpful if the buttons were laid out so I could obtain and share my location using one hand (as much as possible, anyway). I'm thinking of my last case where this app would've been very helpful: I was out shopping with my wife and we got separated from my brother and his family. I'm trying to coordinate with him where we are and at the same time, carry a bunch of stuff. If I'm holding my phone in one hand then I only have my thumb available to tap buttons.

squeeb

I can see lots of potential for this. The sharing screen looks good. One thing I immediately thought of was the ability to quickly send an SOS to a previously defined mobile number. Maybe even automatically taking photos with all the phones cameras and sending them.

I can see lots of cool gaming possibility.

The UI for the application screen needs some refining,  but the buttons themselves relate to what they do. Would you be able to show two locations at once. For example, lets say someone shares their position, on the receiver's phone it would be good to see your own position, your friend's position, and info like distance. Obviously not as complex as Google Maps with routes etc., but just to give you an idea of where you are in relation.

I didnt see you posted!  Thank you for the ideas.  Im sure i can add some of these features.... i even have a way to do the google directions/route. ;) ill add it when i get that far and need to add it  in my maps engine.... ill need some server side things set up.. but sharing location (in game) is a step im half way through.. i have real life movement transpose your player  in game.. close anyway.. when its done.. i want to show your friends placement on your map also.. as they walk around

I made a little google map style layer menu button.. itll open up the  menu.. ill mimic maps a little with the layout.. got rid of zoom buttons... ... ...
And now!  Some pinch to zoom!

merrak

That looks like it works really well. Cool! The UI also looks better just by removing unnecessary buttons.

squeeb

That looks like it works really well. Cool! The UI also looks better just by removing unnecessary buttons.
Thank you.  I appreciate everyone's feedback.  I am almost ready to publish it.. i will fix the 2 buttons in ui menu for zoom level and map type. Weather button is done. 
2nd release will be draw on map with finger and remove ads

Pinch to zoom bugs out sometimes.. im still polishing it.. mostly showing the ui and polish ive worked on

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K6PnrchU4OI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/K6PnrchU4OI</a>

squeeb

here is a beta build if anyone wants to try it and give me some feedback on what else should be done before i publish it

i also added real life movement...(walk around with your device and your location updates on the map)  im still trying to perfect that.. let me know if its close!! haha

mdotedot

Downloaded build on my Samsung Tab A 9.7 Note.

* Display location text is nearby but not spot on
* No Maps at first
* When I zoom in and zoom out it shows america map (Victory dr US.Highway 280 McDonals with Bank of Amera Financial Center and Walmart nearby (I am in Europe, The Netherlands!!!)
* I hate the ads at the bottom. While zooming I hit it a few times and it brought me elsewhere
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

merrak

I wasn't able to get anything at all until I turned wifi on. After that it worked. Pinch zoom still seems a little iffy. It'll stutter back and forth as I try to zoom. Maybe it's too sensitive?

The accuracy of the map is pretty good. I'm actually inside the building, not at the edge like the map suggests... but I don't think there's much you can do about GPS resolution and it's good enough for most of the applications I'd have for an app like this.

I like all the share options. That part seems pretty solid to me.

My only real complaint is the number of ads--it's a bit intrusive. I actually don't mind the ad at the bottom. I think that makes more sense than the popups. But maybe I have a larger screen on my phone than m.e.'s--so that it doesn't get in the way of zooming. Or maybe zooming needs to be improved to work around the banner ad. I'd get a popup every time the app lost and regained focus, which got annoying after a while.

I think the important thing to keep in mind with ads and features is that you're competing with the convenience of text messaging (e.g. "I'm standing at the big white building, under the canopy"). The app has to be dead simple to use and anything that gets in the way of the user's goal is going to be a mark in favor of them just using what their phone already has.

merrak

Addendum. I Just looked at my screenshot again and realized it actually has me in the wrong building. I attached a screenshot from Google Maps with the correct location. That's a pretty significant error... I'm about 500 feet south of where your app said I was.

squeeb

It may be with my scaling of the location marker.. ive noticed it sometimes.. never that far off Merrak!.  I need to make the ads less intrusive.. i have ben thinking about that..
The addresses of where you are at are correct?  Is it just the marker?
And i have never tested it outside of the US!  Wonder what the weird map is.. it could be because of the tablet resolution.  I thought i made it zoom out so you wouldnt see the map tiles that arent being used... could be that..

Also
. The wifi has to be on for it to work for you? 
Sigh!  This is a tough project! Haha