The Lost Temple 2

JeffreyDriver

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/38826 - The game is now too big to upload to the Stencyl Arcade, so it's now on gamejolt instead - https://gamejolt.com/games/the_lost_temple_2/354520

It's on newgrounds - https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/716477

The sequel to the original Lost Temple (https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/710688)

It's still a work-in-progress. It's missing sounds and music, and some graphics (mainly background stuff, and other eye-candy)

Simple controls: ARROWS.

For the most part the controls are LEFT, RIGHT, JUMP

JUMP also functions as enter/start in the relevant situations.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:05:05 pm by JeffreyDriver »
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

merrak

I like the layout and style so far. I played through a few rooms and having lots of little challenges to overcome works really well. With the sound and some polish in the background I think it'd be a great game.

The only thing I don't like is how long it takes the player character to build momentum. It feels less like I'm a person moving and more like I'm powering up a train. Some of the more challenging rooms felt too difficult than they should be, since it was too hard to get a grasp of the timing needed to clear the obstacles.

mdotedot

Nice Work.

I like the art-style.

Merrak raised some good points. What I personally dislike is that the up arrow is also the scene switching control.
When trying to do a run+jump at the same time when the level loaded it brought me back to the main screen.
Maybe you could use down arrow for the room selection/switching? Since this down arrow doesn't appear to do anything in the game.

Good job!
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Bombini

Lovely!
I like the artstyle a lot and its very intuitive.

Some thoughts:
  • +1 on that acceleation has to be faster. Jumping feels good
  • +1 on using down arrow to change rooms
  • Really liking the visual progression when i completed a room

JeffreyDriver

Thanks merrak. I've increased the acceleration.

mdotedot, thanks also. My reason for using the up arrow was jump and interact was to have a three-touch control as all the games I'm making I make them as though they're being created for mobile. I can easily switch it to the down arrow though.

Thanks for the comment Bombini.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

Lots of updates (mainly graphics and bug fixes, though I haven't switched the interact button yet).  There are several different game modes, and I'm interested to hear which people like, and which they don't. There's going to be at least 48 secret levels to unlock, and I haven't yet decided what these levels are going to be like.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/38826

It's split into areas, with each area having 12 levels. I decided to let the player tackle levels in any order, so if they find something really difficult, it doesn't stop them progressing. They can just come back to a level later.

Areas 1, 2, 5, 7, 9 and 10 are general levels. Each area gets more difficult and includes new obstacles

Area 3: flood. Escape rising water

Area 4: minecart. Ride a minecart to the end of the level

Area 6: ice. Like the general levels,but with the difficulty of sliding about

Area 8: torches. Again, like the general levels, but your torches burn out after a few seconds
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

merrak

I think it'd take me a while to find and go through all the different game modes, but I am enjoying them. I found the mine cart one (D-001). I got stuck on D-004. Some of the jumps seem to be very sensitive to timing and there isn't a door to back out of the level.

JeffreyDriver

Thanks merrak. I've added a button that appears when you pause the game so you can quit a level whenever you like.

If you do get a chance to play the other game modes I'd be interested to know which  are your favourites.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

I've made some updates. Mainly just visual stuff and a few bug fixes.

- Added a glow to fire and magic pools
- Fire pools also have particle effect
- A couple of creatures; fireflies and bats. Completely harmless, just to make things seem more interesting. Bats fly away if you get too close. Fireflies just buzz about
- Lanterns added to minecart levels
- Added numbers to the temple interior scene to identify the different areas

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:53:04 pm by JeffreyDriver »
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

More updates

- All levels are now ready; 120 main ones required to complete the game and 48 secret ones
- 168 trophies to find, one on each level
- Down arrow is now used to enter doors, up is now just jump
- Minecart levels now have a progress gauge

Next:  Add sound effects and music

A couple of questions:

Do people like the open world feel, or would they prefer a menu to navigate?
What can be done to elevate the game and make it better?
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Bombini

Do people like the open world feel, or would they prefer a menu to navigate?
What can be done to elevate the game and make it better?
I prefer the open world. Again, the green doors give a nice sense of progression.
What can be done better? You are setting up a story hook in the beginning. I have not played through the game but i did not get any interaction with the enemy. Maybe some hurting comments from him/her once in a while would be interesting. Making fun of the player to motivate.
I am still confused by the "outside" of the temple where i cant do anything.

Very good job!"

JeffreyDriver

Thanks Bombini. Good suggestion about interaction with the enemy. The exterior of the temple was originally going to play a much greater part. I'm not sure what to do with it now.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Bombini

I'm not sure what to do with it now.

I would leave it out if it has no purpose.

JeffreyDriver

Added music. One of the main criticisms the first game faced was that the music was too repetitive, so this one has a much wider variety. The temple itself has a main theme, as do the general levels. The levels with their own unique mechanics/gameplay (ice, minecart, timed torches, falling blocks, rising water) now have their own theme music.

Next:
Sounds effects
Interaction with the enemy throughout the game
Decide what to do with the temple exterior (I think I'm going to keep it, and I have a couple of ideas on what to do with it)

Another question:
What effects or graphics would you like to see added?

This is purely eye-candy stuff to just make it all more visually interesting. For example, the minecart wheels creates sparks, and it has lights, the player create a splash when landing in water, and fire pits now glow and have a particle effect.
Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

JeffreyDriver

Current Projects:
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk