A Game About Trimming Hedges

NickamonPoppytail

Hello everyone,

Here is my latest small project, known as A Game About Trimming Hedges!

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/39142
https://gamejolt.com/games/agameabouttrimminghedgeswhatdidyouexpect/354255
https://nickamongaming.gamejolt.io/agameabouttrimminghedgeswhatdidyouexpect/

In this game, an extremely creatively named protagonist known as Purple Shirt Guy starts a business trimming his neighbours' hedges. What could go wrong? Well, other than the fact that he could accidentally cut the heads off of rabbits, get himself electrocuted, wake the dead, and get driven insane by a whining hound.

This was not a main project, so this isn't meant to be a masterpiece. I hope you can have some fun with it if you decide to play it. I will just warn you that there is some blood in this game. The reason why is because you can cut the heads off of rabbits if you are not to careful.

Here is some information about the characters you can hire and the different hedgetrimmers:
HEDGETRIMMERS
  • Hedgetrimmer's Delight- This is the default hedgetrimmer. It has no special abilities.
  • Rabbit Saviour- An unlockable cyan hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $189. By some magical force, no matter how much you try, this hedgetrimmer won't cut off a rabbit's head.
  • The Spookbuster- An unlockable red hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $509. Whenever you see a ghost, five seconds after you see them they will disappear, provided they don't attack you first.
  • Ultra Trimmer- An unlockable green hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $732. Whenever you turn this hedgetrimmer on or off, it will shoot out a trimmer bullet, allowing you to trim hedges from far away AND kill ghosts. Hold the X key for rapid fire.
  • No Off Switch- An unlockable black hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $1386. Using this hedgetrimmer will prevent a certain hound from making noise, but as the name implies, it can never be turned off.
  • Rich Man's World- An unlockable yellow hedgetrimmer that can be bought for $4624. While this may not seem to have any special effect in gameplay, whatever you earn at the end of a level will be doubled before being added to your total funds.

HELPERS
  • Miss Trimm- She will wander around randomly, cutting anything in her way. Unfortunately for you, she also has no mercy for any rabbits passing by. She will be knocked out if she touches an electrical wire. It costs $407 to hire her.
  • Tiny- This little papillon helper will chase away any rabbits from wherever he goes. However, if he comes into contact with one, he will be knocked out. It costs $508 to hire him.
  • Leapyear- Another papillon helper. If a ghost dares to go anywhere near him, they will disappear. However, like Tiny, he is not immune to rabbits and will be knocked out if he comes in contact with one. He can be hired for $999.

I hope you enjoy this really random game!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:37:01 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH; also canon to the Poppytail series. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project; also canon to the Poppytail series.. The Poppytales: Hand-drawn spin-off bullet-hell RPG using characters from all my other book and game projects. Not canon to the Poppytail series.

merrak

At last, a sequel to Lawn Mower!

The first level with the ghost turned about to be pretty challenging. I actually like the concept. I think there's more potential here-- if each level was more absurd than the last, I'd keep going just to see what the next surprise was.

NickamonPoppytail

At last, a sequel to Lawn Mower!

The first level with the ghost turned about to be pretty challenging. I actually like the concept. I think there's more potential here-- if each level was more absurd than the last, I'd keep going just to see what the next surprise was.

Thank you!

I recently went on holidays, and I went to a cafe for morning tea with a family member and two friends. One of those friends is a gardener. According to my family member, this counted as a "business conference". They later joked that I could contribute by making a game about trimming hedges, starring that friend who was the gardener. She also joked about some mechanics, and I think the last thing they expected was for me to tell them that I was starting to make it. That was also the day I released the Easter Fun update (even though it's still not Easter), and then four days later I released AGATH.

I'm thinking about doing an update for this game sometime. I just need to think of more mechanics, and from there I could create more hedgetrimmers to combat them. I may have to add some more expensive items, as now I can get thousands of in-game dollars in about 15 minutes by playing the final level with the Rich Man's World hedgetrimmer.

I'm glad you liked the ghost mechanic. These were also meant to be a way for me to test how to get characters to follow the player for Pixeltail. I used my idea for how this could work, and the ghost AI worked nearly exactly how I wanted it to. I was planning on using this code for characters like Enderguy, Liz-Liz, Pink Poppy, Mama & Papa Tyranno and Pork Chop.

If I will release an update, it will hopefully be when I've made some more progress on my main projects.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH; also canon to the Poppytail series. Easter Fun 2: A sequel to the original Easter Fun. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project; also canon to the Poppytail series.. The Poppytales: Hand-drawn spin-off bullet-hell RPG using characters from all my other book and game projects. Not canon to the Poppytail series.

Bombini

I wish there was a bit more variety and i would have to take care of the whole garden.
Actually lawnmowing, watering and so on. This could be a very fun game and i think this is a good start!

Keep it up!

NickamonPoppytail

I wish there was a bit more variety and i would have to take care of the whole garden.
Actually lawnmowing, watering and so on. This could be a very fun game and i think this is a good start!

Keep it up!

Thank you, Bombini. I'm actually starting an update now. I'll be doing more trimmers and levels, so I may add some more task variety.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Whenever I finish programming something, I'll put some details here.

TRIMMERS
Coulomb Cutter (Blue)- If you accidentally run into an electrical cord, you have complete immunity to electrocution. Price = $7,561
No Recoil (Purple)- One complaint I got from a friend about AGATH was that the Ultra Trimmer had an annoying recoil. This hedgetrimmer will shoot trimmer bullets without any recoil, however it has a much slower rate of fire. It also will only kill ghosts 50% of the time. Price = $10,435
Bullet Wave (Dark Red)]- Shoots out five trimmer bullets at a time, but these will disappear quickly, so you need to get close to your target. However, if you release the shoot key, you will be teleported backwards. While that may sound bad, you can pass through solid objects to evade enemies such as ghosts. Price = $15,980
Timebomb Trimmer (Brown)- You are immune to dying from any hazard or enemy, however you only have a limited time before the trimmer itself kills you, which will range from 60-240 seconds. Price = $12,378
Grenade Shielder (Dark Green)- Immunity to death from bomb enemies, but ghosts become their faster variant, Charged Ghosts. Price = $20,034
Phantasm Protector (Pink)- Immunity to death from ghost or distort enemies, but bombs become their faster variant, Charger. Price = $25,621
Ink Revealer (Grey)- Will reveal invisible blocks. Price = $30,408
Boombuster (White)- Acts the same way as The Spookbuster, but works for bombs instead of ghosts. Price = $35,409
Revenant Rabbits (Aqua)- When you trim a rabbit, you lose $10 as normal but they will become a Revenant Rabby. Trimming one of these again will return the rabbit to its normal state and earn you back $5 of what you lost. Price = $5

Still to do:
Income Increaser
Blood Money
Dragonfly Destroyer

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:41:43 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

I'm taking a break from Poppytail 5, so I'm working on AGATH:FV instead. Haven't touched this since August. This project is a lot smaller than PT5, so it should come out in two weeks maximum.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

In the last two levels of the original game, there were the Ghost enemies (90% chance of a Ghost and 10% chance of a Distort when created). Now there are a few new types of Ghosts:

Charged Ghost/Distort- If you are using a trimmer that protects you from the new bomb enemies, these ghosts will appear instead of normal ghosts. These are 50% faster than normal ghosts.

Buster Ghost/Distort- They will only appear if you are using The Spookbuster. There is a 4% chance of any ghost to be one of these. They are immune to death from this hedgetrimmer. They can be identified by their bright red colour.

Ultra Ghost/Distort- They will only appear if you are using the Ultra Trimmer. There is a 4% chance of any ghost to be one of these. They are immune to death from the Ultra Trimmer's trimmer bullets. They can be identified by their lime green colour.

Recoil Ghost/Distort- They will only appear if you are using the No Recoil trimmer. There is a 4% chance of any ghost to be one of these. They are immune to death from the No Recoil's trimmer bullets. They can be identified by their purple colour.

Bullet Ghost/Distort- They will only appear if you are using the Bullet Wave. There is a 4% chance of any ghost to be one of these. They are immune to death from the Bullet Wave's trimmer bullets. They can be identified by their dark red colour.

Phantasm Ghost/Distort- - They will only appear if you are using the Phantasm Protector. There is a 4% chance of any ghost to be one of these. They can still harm the player unlike normal ghosts while using this trimmer. They can be identified by their pink colour.

Opaque/Distorted Opaque- They will appear instead of regular Ghosts or Distorts in Scopiary's boss fight. They are much weaker when hit with trimmer bullets, but can cause large amounts of damage to bosses. They cannot collide with the player.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:14:05 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Working on one of the game’s bosses, and the first boss character I’ve ever made in any of my games, Scopiary:

Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

As with nearly every game I make, this game will be split into parts. AGATH:FV will have five of them.

Part 1: Only the five levels available in the original version of AGATH. Beaten once the player makes a certain amount of money.
Part 2: The previous five levels plus another five are available. Beaten once the player makes a certain amount of money.
Part 3: The previous ten levels plus another five are available. Once a certain amount of money is reached, the player must beat the Francium boss to progress to Part 4.
Part 4: Five boss fights need to be completed to beat this part. These are: Scopiary, Shrubbery, Bush Turkey, Guardener and Brawnmower.
Part 5: One boss fight needs to be completed to finish the game, The End.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:37:44 pm by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects

Bombini

Hi,
does the link have the latest version?
Please let me know when you want feedback.
Cheers

NickamonPoppytail

Hi,
does the link have the latest version?
Please let me know when you want feedback.
Cheers

Hi Bombini,

This version is currently in progress. The version in the link covers most of what will be in Part 1. I still need to program levels 8-15 and do six more boss fights and I hope to have this out soon. No deadline anymore, because I’m terrible with those.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Update: Levels 8-10 done, working on Bush Turkey boss fight.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

All of the levels for Parts 1 and 2 are done. Scopiary, Bush Turkey and The End Boss fights are finished (although The End still needs a little work).

Five levels and four boss fights to go.
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Okay, I haven't worked on the game for a while, and I'm hoping to finish by the end of February. There's going to be a few little secrets I have to add. Just a few. I'm not going to say how to find them because the game's not out. To anyone who finds these secrets, good luck for what you find.

https://i.gjcdn.net/data/games/6/27/389527/screenshots/stencyltemp-13163084074164682262-2ihe34az.png
Upcoming Projects