A Game About Trimming Hedges

NickamonPoppytail

Hello everyone,

Here is my latest small project, known as A Game About Trimming Hedges!

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/39142
https://gamejolt.com/games/agameabouttrimminghedgeswhatdidyouexpect/354255
https://nickamongaming.gamejolt.io/agameabouttrimminghedgeswhatdidyouexpect/

In this game, an extremely creatively named protagonist known as Purple Shirt Guy starts a business trimming his neighbours' hedges. What could go wrong? Well, other than the fact that he could accidentally cut the heads off of rabbits, get himself electrocuted, wake the dead, and get driven insane by a whining hound.

This was not a main project, so this isn't meant to be a masterpiece. I hope you can have some fun with it if you decide to play it. I will just warn you that there is some blood in this game. The reason why is because you can cut the heads off of rabbits if you are not to careful.

Here is some information about the characters you can hire and the different hedgetrimmers:
HEDGETRIMMERS
  • Hedgetrimmer's Delight- This is the default hedgetrimmer. It has no special abilities.
  • Rabbit Saviour- An unlockable cyan hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $189. By some magical force, no matter how much you try, this hedgetrimmer won't cut off a rabbit's head.
  • The Spookbuster- An unlockable red hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $509. Whenever you see a ghost, five seconds after you see them they will disappear, provided they don't attack you first.
  • Ultra Trimmer- An unlockable green hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $732. Whenever you turn this hedgetrimmer on or off, it will shoot out a trimmer bullet, allowing you to trim hedges from far away AND kill ghosts. Hold the X key for rapid fire.
  • No Off Switch- An unlockable black hedgetrimmer that you can buy for $1386. Using this hedgetrimmer will prevent a certain hound from making noise, but as the name implies, it can never be turned off.
  • Rich Man's World- An unlockable yellow hedgetrimmer that can be bought for $4624. While this may not seem to have any special effect in gameplay, whatever you earn at the end of a level will be doubled before being added to your total funds.

HELPERS
  • Miss Trimm- She will wander around randomly, cutting anything in her way. Unfortunately for you, she also has no mercy for any rabbits passing by. She will be knocked out if she touches an electrical wire. It costs $407 to hire her.
  • Tiny- This little papillon helper will chase away any rabbits from wherever he goes. However, if he comes into contact with one, he will be knocked out. It costs $508 to hire him.
  • Leapyear- Another papillon helper. If a ghost dares to go anywhere near him, they will disappear. However, like Tiny, he is not immune to rabbits and will be knocked out if he comes in contact with one. He can be hired for $999.

I hope you enjoy this really random game!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:37:01 pm by NickamonPoppytail »

Upcoming Projects: Poppytail 5, Pixeltail, The Poppytales, A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version, One Million, Poppytail 5 2D (maybe)

merrak

At last, a sequel to Lawn Mower!

The first level with the ghost turned about to be pretty challenging. I actually like the concept. I think there's more potential here-- if each level was more absurd than the last, I'd keep going just to see what the next surprise was.

NickamonPoppytail

At last, a sequel to Lawn Mower!

The first level with the ghost turned about to be pretty challenging. I actually like the concept. I think there's more potential here-- if each level was more absurd than the last, I'd keep going just to see what the next surprise was.

Thank you!

I recently went on holidays, and I went to a cafe for morning tea with a family member and two friends. One of those friends is a gardener. According to my family member, this counted as a "business conference". They later joked that I could contribute by making a game about trimming hedges, starring that friend who was the gardener. She also joked about some mechanics, and I think the last thing they expected was for me to tell them that I was starting to make it. That was also the day I released the Easter Fun update (even though it's still not Easter), and then four days later I released AGATH.

I'm thinking about doing an update for this game sometime. I just need to think of more mechanics, and from there I could create more hedgetrimmers to combat them. I may have to add some more expensive items, as now I can get thousands of in-game dollars in about 15 minutes by playing the final level with the Rich Man's World hedgetrimmer.

I'm glad you liked the ghost mechanic. These were also meant to be a way for me to test how to get characters to follow the player for Pixeltail. I used my idea for how this could work, and the ghost AI worked nearly exactly how I wanted it to. I was planning on using this code for characters like Enderguy, Liz-Liz, Pink Poppy, Mama & Papa Tyranno and Pork Chop.

If I will release an update, it will hopefully be when I've made some more progress on my main projects.

Upcoming Projects: Poppytail 5, Pixeltail, The Poppytales, A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version, One Million, Poppytail 5 2D (maybe)

Bombini

I wish there was a bit more variety and i would have to take care of the whole garden.
Actually lawnmowing, watering and so on. This could be a very fun game and i think this is a good start!

Keep it up!

NickamonPoppytail

I wish there was a bit more variety and i would have to take care of the whole garden.
Actually lawnmowing, watering and so on. This could be a very fun game and i think this is a good start!

Keep it up!

Thank you, Bombini. I'm actually starting an update now. I'll be doing more trimmers and levels, so I may add some more task variety.

NickamonPoppytail

Whenever I finish programming something, I'll put some details here.

TRIMMERS
Coulomb Cutter (Blue)- If you accidentally run into an electrical cord, you have complete immunity to electrocution. Price = $7,561
No Recoil (Purple)- One complaint I got from a friend about AGATH was that the Ultra Trimmer had an annoying recoil. This hedgetrimmer will shoot trimmer bullets without any recoil, however it has a much slower rate of fire. It also will only kill ghosts 50% of the time. Price = $10,435
Bullet Wave (Dark Red)- Shoots out five trimmer bullets at a time, but these will disappear quickly, so you need to get close to your target. However, if you release the shoot key, you will be teleported backwards. While that may sound bad, you can pass through solid objects to evade enemies such as ghosts. Price = $15,980
Timebomb Trimmer (Brown)- You are immune to dying from any hazard or enemy, however you only have a limited time before the trimmer itself kills you, which will range from 60-240 seconds. Price = $12378
Grenade Shielder- Immunity to death from bomb enemies.
Phantasm Protector- Immunity to death from ghost or distort enemies.
Ink Revealer- Will reveal invisible blocks.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:05:08 am by NickamonPoppytail »