Isometric Environment/4way shooter kit

Gemini

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10728

This is a very barebones kit for enabling the player with isometric movement.

Since Stencyl does not support isometric tile placement at this time, you are best off to assemble your tiles in a third party program, and import the arranged tiles as an image, to be used as a background for your scene. I reccomend "Tiled" or even MS paint.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:03:21 pm by Gemini »

Hectate

I remember this. What I don't remember is: are you using pre-rendered backgrounds or is it a specially designed tileset?
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Gemini

pre rendered...but tilesets can be used if you like. I just find the pre-rendering to be more sensible until isometric tile support is added

damijin

Although I think the game needs a lot of work (shooter isn't the genre that comes to mind with this. The controls are too strange because of the iso + keyboard issue), this remains one of the most interesting Stencyl projects in development.

I remember seeing this way back last year when you and I were talking a lot. I think it's a really cool tech demo and would be useful for all sorts of iso projects. I personally want to do an iso city builder at some point -- this looks like it could certainly be used for a minecraft aesthetic, so I may crack it open later to find out!

Gemini

In a perfect world, I would like to find somebody to work with to come up with a few different mechanics for the system. As it stands now, I only have a few minutes here and there to plug away on this with, as I have a solo game (jumping potato) and an unannounced collab going down

An isometric ARPG with a platformer element like in "Landstalker" for the Sega genesis and wii virtual console is my final goal here. For now the shooter is just a variation Im playing with. Back when i was first working on this, I had a three level system for height and hovering, which is where the space and shooter thing derived from. Now Im just using it to get my attributes actors and some template scenes in order.

Originally the isometric tiles and movement behaviors I made were intended for a traditional turn based RPG idea.

magicpegasus

Landstalker is unmitigated awesomeness. I would be very interested in developing a game like Landstalker. I hope you make a lot of progress with this kit!

Gemini

NEW VERSION POSTED.

Lighter. Less Behaviors. No shooting. Just straight up isometric player movement.
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10728

mostly intended as a guide

Derek

Oh, thank you, Gemini. This is exactly the kind of thing I could put to use. All that's left is ironing out the player character slightly moving to another direction despite continuing to run in the wall.
Don't be a critic on the internet while eating and drinking at your computer.

rob1221

I imagine it would be pretty hard to iron out. Ill do that now.

The character moves considerably slower when running directly into a wall, so you can probably implement a band aid fix that sets speed to 0 if speed is within a certain range.  Moving faster (not against a wall) would not cause the speed to change.

Gemini

I actually mis-typed the post youve quoted and misread the post leading up to it. Disregard please... There are plenty of easy ways to stop the players motion on a collision with the terrain

coleislazy

I suddenly want to play FF:Tactics. Great job!

Gemini

Trying to figure out what sort of combat system I want to implement is turning out to be a headache

fastkid

This is really awesome... but how did you do the collisions???
also i think that your sprite and tileset looks great!

Gemini

the collisions need some tweaking...but so far, I use only one collision polygon that generally encompasses the actors feet...In a diamond shape congruent to the dimensions of an isometric tile.

Additionally, none of my tiles have collision boxes. I use terrain polygons to determine the bounds of a scene.

Thanks! The tiles, and sprites are my own creation.

fastkid

ohhhhhh thanks for clearing up and... seriously all of em'? nice!