My first game

rutherglen

Hello,

This is my first game. It's still a work in progress but there's hopefully enough there to give a feel of the game.

www.thelosteskimo.com

Bombini

Good start!
It confused me a bit that i could not walk diagonal after collecting wood and i wish the fishing game would be faster. I also didnt understand how it works. Do i need to put something on the hook to cath a fish?

rutherglen

Hi Bombini thanks for trying it.

When you collect 10 of the woods you create a fire which you can stand next to for up to 2 minutes to keep your body temperature up, after that the fire fades out.

For the fishing part I didn't want to bombard the player with too many fish, also when testing it if I spawned too many fish the game would crash. I've set the Tuna speed at slow randoms. In the next area you fish for Salmon that swim faster and then the area after that for sardines which are faster still and smaller.

The trick to catching the fish is to hook them just under their mouths.

Bombini

When you collect 10 of the woods you create a fire which you can stand next to for up to 2 minutes to keep your body temperature up, after that the fire fades out.

Thats what i figured out and it was fun!

The trick to catching the fish is to hook them just under their mouths.

Ah ok. I tired but it hink this could be easier. Also what happens when you jump while fishing?

rutherglen

Yeah I need to get a bit better at coding and work out a way of making the fishing easier/better.

The reason you can jump while fishing (it doesn't effect the fishing ability) is that random parts of the iceberg you stand on will melt at random times, so if the piece of iceberg you're standing on starts to melt you can jump on to another piece. If you stay for too long all of it melts, so to survive you need to plan to jump off the iceberg to either side and it will reload you to the main area nd then you can try the fishing again and the iceberg will reset.

Bombini

Ok here my thoughts now that i got the picture:

Goals/tasks at start screen:
  • I would show them in the game (for example when collecting first ice or first tree or first fish because i already forgot them when i was in game and they are cool.
  • You could showcase in game how much wood you already have and need. Example: 4/10 wood.

Gameplay:
  • You can set the collisions of tree and ice to "sensor" to ahve a smoother gameplay. I would also reducr the hitboxes a bit
  • Would be nice to know when you die (at which temperetur), Either show that the same way as the wood or color the font orange and red when it gets critical to create urgency
  • 0 as the default body temperature is weird ;)

Fishing:
  • I still dont get how to fish. Could not catch one fish yet

rutherglen

Thanks for the constructive feed back.

I will definitely take it on board and really like the idea of the 0/10 score system display for the various items to collect, also like the idea of changing fonts for the body temperature and agree that the player should know beforehand the body temperature limit.

I agree that 0 body temperature default is a little silly, I'll have a think about that, I just found it as an easy way to express the cold/harsh environment.

To catch a fish you take the very tip of the hook and just as it's under the fish's mouth you press up.

Bombini

You could add a thermometer for the temperature with a coupld of frames for normal, cold, colder, frozen.
Have fun!

rutherglen

That's another good suggestion to add a visual representation for the body temperature rather than an numerical one (would mean I could get rid of the weird "0" for body temperature).

When I next get the time I might also create my own font for the game similar to the look of the letters in my start screen logo.

Also there's a lot of things later in the game I'd like to change. For starters in one area you throw harpoons at crabs and no matter what why you face the harpoon always fires forward, I've just noticed that and will need to fix it (no big deal), so there's probably still many bugs. I'm going to practice my drawing too so I can improve everything visually.

Thanks for the advice Bombini!

JeffreyDriver

I can see this being a great survival game with some more work. It's a good first game.

Yes, there are some issues with your controls, such as suddenly stopping or inexplicably not being able to move in certain directions. Jumping over objects is also frustrating as you can't move in air if you hit something. Hit boxes are too large, and I also found fishing really difficult. The graphics and UI need work.

Though these things are all easily fixed.

I like the idea though and I think there's lots of potential.

Some things which came to mind:

GOALS/TASKS: I agree. players need something to aim for. What's the ultimate aim. Survive a certain number of days? Escape the ice?
SPEED: You move quite slowly, so it would be good to move faster, or least have an upgrade. E.g. snowshoes.
WEATHER: You could have weather affect gameplay.  If there was a blizzard maybe you'd walk slower, and lose heat faster, forcing you to find cover.
FISHING: Perhaps upgrades, such as nets, so you don't have to fish manually.
TREES/ICE BLOCKS: It might be good to be able to place your fire/igloo when you want  to instead of automatically. You could work this into a survival element where you need to space out your igloos/fires in order to cross a long distance. Fires could also be used to keep dangerous animals away.
TEMPERATURE: I agree that it should be some type of bar or guage  so we know when we're in danger. Maybe you could also upgrade your clothes to keep you warm longer?
HUNTING/TRAPPING: Hunting and trapping to get food and fur?

Don't get too bogged down with the graphics. Solid controls and good gameplay are what's important. Graphics can be replaced at anytime. Don't try to do too much too soon. It's easy to aim big, and get frustrated when you run into bugs and issues (which WILL happen), so start small, keep it simple, and build up from there. Learn how to create your own behaviours that you can export and use in other projects.

Keep up the good work!
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

rutherglen

Thanks for the encouragement JeffreyDriver!

There's a lot of good suggestions you've made. I did want it so that you could collect the wood and ice blocks so that you could place the fires and igloo's anywhere you wanted but realised I'd have to introduce more keyboard controls to now what I know from both your feedback and Bombini is already a little clumsy and thought it might be a bit overwhelming/confusing for younger players. I'll have a go and see if it's not too cumbersome.

I did think about hunting before and originally though about seals but then I decided to keep it Kid friendly/P.G. so it wasn't too violent and introduced them as characters :

[img]/Users/Andrew/Desktop/Untitled.jpg[img] (hopefully this screenshot attachment has worked.

I like you're idea about weather being a factor and maybe day and night as well.

The goal of the game is to move to different artic areas to eventually find your way home, you come across characters like a polar bear, seal and penguins. Who help you get back home. In the future I might make a little story animation when the game is loaded to inform players of the goal of the game. 

Again, thanks for the encouragement, I just need to find the spare time to start working on the game again.