How to Convert JSON/Anonymous Structure Into Nested Map?

Xinbei

Hello,

I want to convert JSON strings/files into map attributes in my game. I have only used drag and drop thus far but I have figured out how to use the code block to parse a JSON string. I set the parsed JSON result as an anything attribute. My problem is that I can't convert the anything attribute into a map nor can I use map blocks on it despite it looking exactly like a map when I print it.

How can I either directly convert the JSON into a map with nested arrays/maps or convert the Anonymous Structure from the parse function into a map?

An example of a JSON I want to convert into a map is:

Code: [Select]
{
  "apple": {
    "value": 10,
    "health": 15,
    "tags": [
      "fruit",
      "fiber",
      "sweet"
    ]
  },
  "lemon": {
    "value": 5,
    "health": 10,
      "fruit",
      "citrus",
      "sour"
    ]
  },
  "ham": {
    "value": 50,
    "health": 50,
      "salty",
      "meat"
    ]
  }
}

Attached is the block I've been trying and the results of printing the anything attribute.

merrak

You might end up just having to loop through all elements in the entire structure jsonout and build the map.

I haven't used JSON though, so I can't say that's the only way. I looked at the Haxe documentation and it looks like it's doing something similar to what the FAST routines give you when you parse an XML document. I built a FAST extension if you want to look at it as an example. Not sure how relevant it'll be.

One thing I'll note though is that I never bothered converting my XML documents to maps. Instead, I built that extension so that it provides blocks that access the returned structure directly. That might be the intention here as well. Is there a reason you have to build a map?

squeeb

Are you trying to parse the json?  And set it as an attribute?  I havent done maps before.. i have set parsed json to number and text attributes  though.. i can post code in the morning

Edit
Sorry i think i misread that :p

Xinbei

Thanks for the responses,

Seems like there's no easy way to convert JSON to a map attribute. Look like my options at this point are:

1. Convert the JSON to a CSV and use the text split function to convert CSV into a map somehow (not ideal since I'll have to create a different split event for each type of JSON)

2. Convert the JSON to XML and use the XML API in haxe to iterate over every single node and somehow setup  a map during the iterations

3. Hire a coder who knows how to use haxe to write me a JSON to Map attribute converter (any suggestion to where I can find  and hire a coder for this?)

None of these options are ideal and hopefully in the future Stencyl will have a direct converter for JSON to map attribute like in Game Maker Studio 2. I think JSON is incredibly useful and convenient and if I could convert one into a global map attribute it would allow me to easily create a complex yet accessible database for my games.

If anyone has any other work around method, please let me know I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that would allow me to convert JSON or even XML into a map attribute

merrak

I think the trick will be to use the Reflect class. (Example). Reflect provides a fields function that gives you an array, which can then be iterated over. If I had a few hours to spare I could probably write an extension that does this. I don't see that happening until at least this weekend.

The FAST extension I put on the extensions forum doesn't have an XML -> Map converter, but it does have an iterator that would make it a lot easier to write one.

Xinbei

Thanks Merrak, if you have the spare time  I would greatly appreciate the extension and I'll help you in any way I can. In the meantime, I'm going to look into the reflect class and your XML iterator to see if there's any option there.