Windows Update Harms Performance of All of My Games

irock

I don't know what's causing your performance issues exactly, but it isn't surprising to hear that it might have come from a Windows update. Microsoft has notoriously been putting out updates for Windows 10 that have had a negative impact on gaming performance (at least for certain games). Fullscreen Optimization is one example of a "feature" that I've had to disable to even be able to play Overwatch anymore.

NickamonPoppytail

I don't know what's causing your performance issues exactly, but it isn't surprising to hear that it might have come from a Windows update. Microsoft has notoriously been putting out updates for Windows 10 that have had a negative impact on gaming performance (at least for certain games). Fullscreen Optimization is one example of a "feature" that I've had to disable to even be able to play Overwatch anymore.

Do you know of any way to fix this? I don't think full screen would be an issue, because there's one of my games that still has a lag problem that doesn't run in full screen (Century Game). This has lag issues, and the Century-G Block character's collisions and animations are so buggy that he can sometimes go straight through tiles and switch between appearing upright and appearing to be on his side frequently. This is so bad that the character even seems to move erratically or on its own.
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: Platformer boss rush with character collecting. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl. Precious: Weird platformer. Christmas Time 2: Sequel to Christmas Time 1.

Bombini

Space Pirates runs on my older notebook 60 FPS windowed. Since some weeks it runs on Fullscreen 20 FPS (before no difference). I have no clue why. Maybe this is related to Windows...

NickamonPoppytail

Space Pirates runs on my older notebook 60 FPS windowed. Since some weeks it runs on Fullscreen 20 FPS (before no difference). I have no clue why. Maybe this is related to Windows...

I think this could be a  Windows-related issue.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:31:24 am by NickamonPoppytail »
Upcoming Projects
Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail: Fifth and sixth main instalments in Poppytail series. A Game About Trimming Hedges: Final Version: An updated version of the original AGATH. One Million: Last-one-standing style small project. The Poppytales: Platformer boss rush with character collecting. Skies n' Fall: Boss rush shooter prequel to Rise n' Brawl. Precious: Weird platformer. Christmas Time 2: Sequel to Christmas Time 1.

NickamonPoppytail

Discovery: It's possible to get Poppytail 4 or Poppytail 4: Special Edition to freeze and close themselves. While they both will close themselves upon getting the Error ending, that is meant to happen.

If you get the Normal ending and unlock Minigames Mode, clicking any shader buttons on the Windows versions (other than the Clear Filters button) will make the game freeze and close.

No news on fixes.
Upcoming Projects

merrak

... clicking any shader buttons on the Windows versions (other than the Clear Filters button) will make the game freeze and close.

I wonder if OpenGL is related to the problem

NickamonPoppytail

... clicking any shader buttons on the Windows versions (other than the Clear Filters button) will make the game freeze and close.

I wonder if OpenGL is related to the problem

What’s OpenGL?
Upcoming Projects

NickamonPoppytail

Should I report this as a bug?
Upcoming Projects

merrak

OpenGL is an API used to interact with graphics hardware. It's very low-level... probably most visible to Stencyl users if they're working with shaders. Don't quote me on this because I'm not that familiar with Windows systems, but I think Microsoft's DirectX performs a similar function.

Before reporting it as a bug I'd do a little research into seeing if anyone else has reported it. As widespread as OpenGL is, something like that ought to be on a support forum somewhere by now. Might be worth looking at OpenFL, too... although because of the similar names it's hard to search for OpenFL results and not get OpenGL instead.

Bombini

What a week  :-[
I just did a bios update on my Windows machine lowering the average of 60 frames to 10-15 frames.
I need to investigate but ...

And this is a pure Windows/my notebook issue but...argh

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:19:14 pm by Bombini »

NickamonPoppytail

What a week  :-[
I just did a bios update on my Windows machine lowering the average of 60 frames to 10-15 frames.
I need to investigate but ...

And this is a pure Windows/my notebook issue but...argh

I have researched and seen other people with the same problem as us, yet I have not found a solution.
Upcoming Projects

merrak

If other people have reported it then someone ought to be working on a solution. Unfortunately there might not be anything you can do but wait if it's a Windows issue and someone at MS needs to correct it.

NickamonPoppytail

I have visited the IT expert again today, but he can’t think of any other solution to the issue. I may have to get Geeks2U or something to try and help. I miss being able to work on my games. Not sure if I’ll really be able to do much after that. I’ve planned out pretty much everything for Poppytail 5 and Pixeltail, other than some characters don’t have voice actors yet.
Upcoming Projects