The Ghost (Test ver)

NerdinaNutshell

I've gotten the basic character movement completed, however I feel like theres somethings that need to be changed. And thats why I'm releasing a test version of my game. I also be including a .stencyl file so you if you feel you have an idea one what should be fixed you can
Plot Twist... I'm a ghost

NerdinaNutshell

For the few people who played this I’m going to be putting out a refined version with better character control (jumping is really the only thing changing)

NickamonPoppytail

You could also publish this to the Stencyl Arcade.
RIP Pirate Wray
April 2002-September 2018

merrak

If you're looking for feedback, I'd give it a try if you uploaded it somewhere like Stencyl Arcade. Due to some quirk on my system I can't play SWF files directly through the browser. I have to construct an HTML page to embed them in. Not sure if that affects anyone else.

NerdinaNutshell

merrak

I've gotten the basic character movement completed, however I feel like theres somethings that need to be changed. And thats why I'm releasing a test version of my game. I also be including a .stencyl file so you if you feel you have an idea one what should be fixed you can

I agree it doesn't feel quite right. At the same time, it's not bad either. It functions and there's only one obvious bug. Something just feels off.

One thing I noticed right away is that the character sticks to the sides of cliffs when they're falling. You probably just need to adjust the friction settings, although that might affect slow down when the movement key is released.

When I'm in the air and I release a running key, the character keeps moving. From a physics standpoint, that makes sense... but I don't think it's the standard rule for platforming games.

Movement is also a bit stiff. I accelerate very fast, and if there were any, I'd expect that to make it harder to land on small targets.

It actually reminds me a bit of the character control of Commander Keen 1. I remember the controls to that game feeling stiff as well. They weren't bad, but I always noticed them... unlike Keen 4 for which I never noticed the controls so they never put immersion into the game at risk.

NerdinaNutshell

Is there any way to make the character accelerate up to a certain speed?

merrak

Is there any way to make the character accelerate up to a certain speed?

Something like this.

Code: [Select]
When Updating:
    If absolute value of ( x-speed of actor ) < "max speed" then
        Push actor sharply toward x-dir (-1 for left, 1 for right) at N force
    End if

You'll have to experiment with different values of N to get the desired acceleration curve. If you get it right then the player can make finer adjustments by lightly tapping the direction key, but still be able to get up to speed relatively quickly by holding the key down.

If you want to get more elaborate, you can have different accelerations or max speeds for when the character is in the air, on ground, etc. You can also have a run key that changes the max speed/acceleration.

NerdinaNutshell

NerdinaNutshell

This was pretty funny, I was making a base for bosses and made one of the animations X of Player. Oops: https://youtu.be/nQLfPdtdkGc