Drawing on-screen animations

Electric Fruit

Hello fellow Stencylers

I recently saw this tweet from the Stencyl account https://twitter.com/oystre_game/status/1061468104352354304 (game looks great btw) and it got me to wondering how these types of effects are implemented in stencyl. Specifically the power up animation which rotates around the screen. I have been tying to achieve a similar effect in my game but using tweened actors and the effect is no where near as good.

Would anybody be able to point me in the direction of anywhere I might be able to read up on this or find out how its done.  Does anybody know if this is done just using the drawer blocks and manipulating the coordinates to move the animation? I have seen things like the Pico-8 tweet cart animations which I think are built on a similar principal I'm just struggling to find a jumping off point.

Thanks for reading

JeffreyDriver

I noticed that the rest of the graphics in that game are in a pixel style, while the powerup effect isn't so it probably done using the drawing blocks. It could also be done with the Image API

There's an extension called Drawing Utilities which you may find helpful.
Current Projects:
Retro Redux Compilation (NEW).
Retro Redux (untitled) (NEW).
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Electric Fruit

Hi Jeffrey, thanks for the advice, I will check out the extension. I suspect that this effect is done using the drawing blocks it's just that the math behind it frazzles by brain.

Electric Fruit

Managed to get something going using the drawing extension and thought I'd drop the code in here in case anybody wants it. You will need the Drawing Utilities extension installed