Possible reasons for strange slowdown?

JonasKyratzes

So I've made this shmup (can't share it, it's for sponsorship). Everything runs smoothly, even levels with a ton of enemies.

But then, sometimes, playtesters have reported extreme slowdowns, starting at various points in the level.

I can't figure out why this could be happening. It's not the number of actors, since the slowdowns have been reported in levels with few actors. It's not some improper loop or timed behavior. It's not connected to any specific actor, since plenty of levels with the same actors don't have any problems. It's not a scene behavior, since all levels have exactly the same ones, and most levels are fine.

The problem is rare - about 3-4 out of 50 levels. But I can't figure it out. What else could be causing it? What am I not thinking of?

Alexin

Flash's garbage collector?
Several Flash contents playing simultaneously?

Does the game recover from slowdowns or do they persist?
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Hectate

Are they testing in a browser that is simultaneously displaying other Flash content such as advertisements?
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

JonasKyratzes

It recovers when the scene is over. They're not running anything else.

Alexin

Well, I can't think of anything specific. I'd have to test it for myself.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Jon

It recovers when the scene is over. They're not running anything else.

Hmm, that sounds awfully like this. Rhys (one of our veterans) made a shoot em up to and ran into the same problem where there was a memory leak when switching layers.
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,5395.0.html

The fix is easy - grab this file, which is the latest drop of our engine and dunk it into plaf/flash/
http://static.stencyl.com/nightly/engine.swc

sebsebmc

This actually helped my game as well... thanks a lot...

Jon

Glad to hear - we'll definitely roll this fix out in the next version. I didn't realize it impacted this many games.