Cannot grow buffer error; can't compile game

Galdon2004

So, I have a feeling this is related to the max string size problem I had several months back, which I overcame by compressing the size of all the images in the game. I am, once again, unable to compile. The error is a bit different this time, it says "cannot grow buffer" but the effect is basically the same. After adding more images to the game, it is no longer able to finish compiling.

I am very concerned that I won't be able to finish this game due to this issue. I have a lot of artwork left to include. Is there any way to overcome this issue? Currently, I have about 1200 resources, ranging from tiny UI elements of less than 20kb, to full screen images up to around 300kb in size. The total size of the game is 91mb when compiled.

Any help would be appreciated. Today is the last day of development for the month on this game, and I need to get it compiled for the monthly release.

Here is the error description from my log:

2018-12-12 06:52:04,035 INFO  [Thread-13] stencyl.sw.util.StreamGobbler: [haxelib.exe] Error: Buffer.add: cannot grow buffer
2018-12-12 06:52:04,243 DEBUG [pool-1-thread-2] stencyl.sw.util.Util: Process 'haxelib.exe' exited with code: 1
2018-12-12 06:52:04,243 ERROR [pool-1-thread-2] stencyl.sw.io.write.resource.HXWriter: Failed: Building for Flash. (Return code: 1)
2018-12-12 06:52:04,246 ERROR [pool-1-thread-2] stencyl.sw.util.dg.MessageDialog: Encountered errors while building your game.: Check your logs and post them to the forums.  - Please describe what you have been doing. Be as specific as possible.

Justin

Are you building for flash? Would it be possible for you to export to a different target?
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Galdon2004

I am building for Flash. I just tried exporting to another target. Exporting seems to work, but when exporting to other formats, the number pad won't work for the buttons it's mapped to.

Galdon2004

So, I have a tiny bit more information? For some reason, a friend of mine is able to get it to compile on their computer, but I cannot get it to run on mine. We are both using the same memory extender (8gb), so I'm not sure what the difference is. Some of my players are upset with the exe option as it can't be embedded into my site in that format and a fair number of them use MAC which obviously can't run exe.

Is there any setting I can tweak or anything else I might be able to try in order to get the game to compile into flash again?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:55:42 pm by Galdon2004 »

Justin

Perhaps wait for the next public release (very soon) and try exporting flash again, or html5.

Galdon2004

I had considered trying the unstable build to see if that works any better, but it seems like I can't access that part of the forum anymore, though I still have pro access within stencyl. Not sure if the forum thinks I ran out of subscription early, or if stencyl thinks I still have it late...

Justin

Huh, that's weird. The forums are up to date. I'm not sure what the toolset is doing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯