Soultrail Saviour [WIP]

KonzZwodrei

I would separate more between "what you can jump on" and what not.
Right not its not so easy to read.

I actually use two different color palletts to get the effect you explained.
The background tiles are more greyish, the foreground, jumpable, tiles are a colorfull brown, like fresh wood.
Maybe it's hard to see because oft the low videoquality, is there enough difference with a realsize screenshot?

JeffreyDriver

I have to agree with Bombini. I think there needs to be more contrast.
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Bombini

I actually use two different color palletts to get the effect you explained.

Yes i see but i think it would be better readable.

KonzZwodrei

Allright, I've changed the color to a more reddish palette for the collisionable Tiles

vicevicebingo

The first set of tiles for the indoor forest house didn't satisfy me.
I've redone some of the tiles and added a few more.
What else belongs into a lumberjacks hut?
Rectangle is your friend.
90 angle is your best helper.
Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V will fulfill your endless same world idea.

If I were you, I will just call this game as Flappy Bird Pipes.

Luyren

Allright, I've changed the color to a more reddish palette for the collisionable Tiles.

Heads up: my experience on the subject is mostly from playing games and some research.

While your graphics are good as is, I feel you can improve a lot with some techniques and ideas. In regards to the background, there are ways to create more contrast:
-Lower saturation for the background: making the background "greyer" helps it contrast with the foreground.
-Darker tones overall (see the boss rush room in Shovel Knight)
-Use a complimentary color for the background: in Castlevania 1, there are orange tiles against the predominantely dark blue background, that increases the contrast between them. From a quick google search:
Most browns are a kind of dark and muted orange (orange being a secondary colour - mixed red and yellow) and the complementary would therefore be a blue. A reddish brown's complementary colour will be a green, a purplish brown's complementary will be a yellow.

One technique that can help your graphics overall is hue-shifting. Look into the subject, that can give more life to your graphics.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:13:39 am by Luyren »
Working.

KonzZwodrei

If I were you, I will just call this game as Flappy Bird Pipes.
How about no? it has nothing in common with flappy birds.
It's a common plattformer with RPG elements:  jump, run, dash, attack, kill, avoid enemies, bullets, traps

@Luyren will read more about it, thanks for the hint.

vicevicebingo

Pixel art is very very lovely, and then...
what just happened?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-nzHy2DdU

Using ruler to draw things must be lovely,
but not even a hostage~
to kidnap someone's daughter or son etc can be
more important, at least.

If you own a nuke, that will be more fantastic.

KonzZwodrei

Thanks to some help via the stencyl discord channel, a good hint to change the color palette and a few tries to get the ambiente right I finished version 2 for the dark forest map. I personally am satisfied, hope you like it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/42mom0B7r1Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/42mom0B7r1Q</a>

CmdrWhitey13

Thanks to some help via the stencyl discord channel, a good hint to change the color palette and a few tries to get the ambiente right I finished version 2 for the dark forest map. I personally am satisfied, hope you like it.

Graphics look really good. Stars seems a little fast moving, i believe. Great job.

Bombini

KonzZwodrei

There we go again, another fastforward of my todays and yesterdays work. This time I've created the titlescreen for the game.  Round about four hours of work wich were worth it. Slowly the game becomes something to look at although I still have 13/14 of the tile graphics , 95% of the cutscene graphics and 80% of the coding work to do.

It's like wokring on something, haveing a result but not seeing the finished product yes cause it seems so far away, nearly unreachable.

At 04:55 you can view the full titlescreen with buttons and effects.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gAsAL5mihYw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gAsAL5mihYw</a>

Bombini

Cool cool!
Can we play a bit to check it out?

KonzZwodrei

Can we play a bit to check it out?

The actual result inclusivly the playable content won't statisfy me. I'd rather wait until the game offers some minutes of gameplay with at least actual maps. So far I'm wokring on graphics, the game mechanics for the player are roughly finished but still optimisable and the maps are only placeholders to check the tilesets.  I'm only building the foundation atm.

Bombini

Ok. Let me know when you think you are ready.