Soultrail Saviour [WIP]

KonzZwodrei

Since this is the delopers board I feel free to post my ideas on the games development.

Some basic infos about maps, mapdesign, skills and combination of obtained skills and the desigm for each map I'm trying to sort out:
  • the game will (propably) have 7 themed maps (Forest, Desert and such stuff)
  • with each 7 instances
  • 49 maps seperated in short sequences
  • ~ 200-300 maps
The problem I already see is that so many maps are getting boring. Mapdesign is a major topic here but i focus first on rewarding the player with different skills wich the player will receive at the end of each theme. That mean it should include 6 skills, but I only have 5:
  • doublejump
  • mellee attack
  • dash
  • walljump
  • shield
Sounds good so far? Yeah, somehow I'm not satisfied. I still need an idea for a sixth skill. What else may players do in plattformers? I'm kinda lost here. Thought of adding running and pushing blocks but it seems not to be superior skills, just something wich can be added inbetween but not as a reward for finishing a theme.

Maps will make the player use his obtained skills like this:
  • first 2 maps: Use mainly the last obtained skill
  • next 2 maps: use all obtained skills, no combination needed
  • next 2 maps: harder mode, combine all obtained skills
  • last map: themeboss

I havn't decided yet in wich order the skills will be obtained, this is cucial for the mapdesigns and bosses cause the players skills decide wich hurdles will be build in. Just my basic plan on mapdesign based on players skills.

merrak

.... I still need an idea for a sixth skill. What else may players do in plattformers? I'm kinda lost here. Thought of adding running and pushing blocks but it seems not to be superior skills, just something wich can be added inbetween but not as a reward for finishing a theme....

What about a projectile weapon?

squeeb

.... I still need an idea for a sixth skill. What else may players do in plattformers? I'm kinda lost here. Thought of adding running and pushing blocks but it seems not to be superior skills, just something wich can be added inbetween but not as a reward for finishing a theme....

Yes!  A couple of them Like the ax and dagger in Castlevania.  I always wanted a  bow and arrow in a 2d platformer. 
Im not sure why.. but i kinda really like this game and watching it come along. 

Let me know if youd like me to make some mechanics for this game... or a partner on it :D

KonzZwodrei

I tried making a projectile-typed wave but it kinda wasn't what I was looking for.

Physical weapons won't be used in this game, so no sword and stuff. The "mellee" attack is rather a by magic formed sword wich appears only temporarly and the "magic powers" have to be restored to use it again. I actually think I might have an idea for a "projectile type weapon" matching the idea that weapons are formed my magic. Gotta think that out for a while.

On a sidenote: Since the game is basicly about life and death and those lost souls stuck between dimensions the "weapons" are soulcrafted magic and rather killing enemies you release posessed beeing from these souls. No blood, no harm and thus safe for children. No need to indicate "free at age ???".  ²

Let me know if youd like me to make some mechanics for this game... or a partner on it :D

As far as I can finish what's needed on my own I'm good. I know of some possible future problems wich I might not solve on my own regarding enemy AI, but I might be wrong with that as I was with most of the problems I've solved, I hope I'll prove me wrong again.

---------------------------------------
Yesterday I took the communities advice to overhaul the colour palette for the forest hut typed theme. Divided the palette in background & design object and jumpables. The poles holding the highground jumpables use the same palette as the jumpables . Not sure if that's good to keep.  Using a third palette would be confusing, the jupmables and poles belong together, so logically I used the same palette. Any advice for seperating or keeping it the way I used the colors?

² Although the story is psychologically deep and a bit dark, without creep-stuff.  Don't know yet if I can display it in the game as good as I my vision is. Still studying game and games psychology on that topic how to make a game narrative, already figured out how to keep freedom for different storybased paths.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 05:14:13 am by KonzZwodrei »

JeffreyDriver

The contrast is much better. It's immediately clear what is and isn't a platform. I don't think the poles should cause an issue but have you tried using the same colours as the background for the poles?
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

vicevicebingo

[Rectangle, 4 lines,
okay, color it with colors, that's all. Oh! I've done it! I am extremely happy!
I am crazy! I am amazing!

Rectangle, 4 lines,
okay, color it with colors, that's not enough. Oh! I will add more colors for it!
I am extremely enthusiastic! I am outstanding!
I am the most clever person ever! This must be the best result ever
that the 3 years old kids can't finish such a thing!

In people eyes: Oh, a rectangle.

KonzZwodrei

In my eyes: Best way to build my vision ist having backup by critics of experienced game delopers.

In developers eyes: A lot of text telling us that he used much effort to get an effective stucture for the build of maps. Also storybased equipment, we'll see how he'll materialise this idea. A concept for player rewarding ? Well someone tries to understand his future gamers psychology, could be a well structured game.

In your eyes: I have nothing gamerelated I can show to backup my opinion, will hate it anyways.

There you go, you got my attention, all eyes on you vicevicebingo.
What kind of progress do you want to see to be satisfied?

vicevicebingo

In my eyes: Best way to build my vision ist having backup by critics of experienced game delopers.

In developers eyes: A lot of text telling us that he used much effort to get an effective stucture for the build of maps. Also storybased equipment, we'll see how he'll materialise this idea. A concept for player rewarding ? Well someone tries to understand his future gamers psychology, could be a well structured game.

In your eyes: I have nothing gamerelated I can show to backup my opinion, will hate it anyways.

There you go, you got my attention, all eyes on you vicevicebingo.
What kind of progress do you want to see to be satisfied?
Especially, Flappy Bird's art is about using 90 degrees angle
and kicking useless white color away to build a nice endless world.
Also using a colorful pipe to catch people' eyes, yep.

I feel very satisfied from your Flappy Bird art. That's all.

merrak

...The poles holding the highground jumpables use the same palette as the jumpables . Not sure if that's good to keep.  Using a third palette would be confusing, the jupmables and poles belong together, so logically I used the same palette. Any advice for seperating or keeping it the way I used the colors?

Overall I think it looks a lot better. Looking forward to seeing where this project goes  :)

Bombini mentioned shadows earlier and I think that would go a long way to separating the tangible floor tiles from the poles without adding new colors to the palette. I sketched a quick mockup (attached). The background looks a bit flat to me. Maybe consider adding shadows there (subtler than in the foreground)?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:31:20 pm by merrak »

vicevicebingo

...The poles holding the highground jumpables use the same palette as the jumpables . Not sure if that's good to keep.  Using a third palette would be confusing, the jupmables and poles belong together, so logically I used the same palette. Any advice for seperating or keeping it the way I used the colors?

Bombini mentioned shadows earlier and I think that would go a long way to separating the tangible floor tiles from the poles without adding new colors to the palette. I sketched a quick mockup (attached). The background looks a bit flat to me. Maybe consider adding shadows there (subtler than in the foreground)?

Overall I think it looks a lot better. Looking forward to seeing where this project goes  :)
Yes, kicking medium [[[[Brightness]]]] color away, and using the darkest color:black
to protect people eyes, also the best shape for shadow is rectangle,
using 90 degrees angle abuse as Flappy Bird used, I can see why it is better.

EDIT: And finally your opinion is just about there are too much
BROWN color in the background. In percentage...must be above 90%.
All of them, are rectangles. Increasing 4 black rectangles when
there are above 300+ brown rectangles in the background---
what? I do see 300+ pipes from Flappy Bird.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 08:38:02 pm by vicevicebingo »

KonzZwodrei

Many things have changed and were added. The visual one is the GUI (Game User Interface).
There you go with a sneak peak of attacks wich will be and some allready are possible.

Things that were done:
  • GUI
  • Heal & bar
  • Aether (mana) and bar
  • Cooldowns for dashing and attacking
  • dependancies of aerther, Health, Cooldown and other stuff
  • Enemies moving & changing directions
  • Enemies shooting projectile attacks depending on position of player
  • Healthdamaging tiles
  • Added weather and athmosphere sounds

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 06:13:45 pm by KonzZwodrei »

KonzZwodrei

Holy guacamole,

two days have passed and I've finished the idle, walking, jumping and falling animations for the updated character sprite.

The new character looks like a badass hero with a grimey look, less childish than the one before and also uses more frames per animation wich makes the game look even more polished.

I still have to add a bunch of animations like ducking, dashing, attacking with different types of weapons, running, stopping and wallclimbing. Besides that there is no armour concept yet, so I don't know wich type of armour set he'll get.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gga8JCd1IOc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gga8JCd1IOc</a>

gon213

What platform will it be on?
P.s looks Great!!

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:41:52 pm by gon213 »

KonzZwodrei

What platform will it be on?
P.s looks Great!!

I don't know know yet. Looks like the development will take a while thus I havn't decided yet where to release. I think this won't have amobile version, only desktop.