A Foresty Game

Fayabella

Oh, nice! That seems like it'll be useful. What do I input for the time stamp? The 'Elapsed Minutes' attribute at the time the actor is created?

Luyren

Oh, nice! That seems like it'll be useful. What do I input for the time stamp? The 'Elapsed Minutes' attribute at the time the actor is created?
You got it. You just have to store the "elapsed minutes" for the given event/actor, and how you do that depends on your game. Since the custom block returns the elapsed time in minutes, you'd have to setup your growth time in minutes.
I have my Stencyl behaviors and resource packs available here: https://luyren.itch.io/

Fayabella

Alrighty. Thanks for that!

Fayabella

Heya, I'm gonna be gone for about two weeks, so I'm not gonna be able to work on my game or post any updates. Just a head's up.

Fayabella

Alrighty I'm back now. I haven't felt like working on this for a bit, but I'll get back to it. Right now I need tallgrass/wildgrass sprites and I can't really find or draw any.

Once I do, though, I can add farming!

Fayabella

I got sidetracked and added lanterns! You craft one, and it's put into your inventory (not your tools, though I could make it like that).  When it's selected, it shines light around the player! It's a bit like a torch, just a little smaller. I'm also tweaking the colours for the day/night cycle to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Fayabella

You can now grow trees! Here's a bunch of saplings: (They grow into trees eventually!)

Turns out my tree placement in the world generation was really wonky, and  I never noticed because the trees add themselves to the list of objects instead of the generation. Fixed it!

And here's the lantern working:

Fayabella

I've just added a mechanic that allows some items to be used. So far, I only have an item that warps time for testing purposes, but later I can add consumable items such as health items, food, thrown projectiles, etc. to the game without much hassle.

Progress on my game is really slow right now, but at least things are being worked on.

Fayabella

I just changed the day/night cycle's colours into something I think is a bit nicer. Luyren helped me fix a bunch of problems with that as well (thanks!)

Now, I'm going to work on gameplay stuff again. I still need to make wildgrass, but once I do, I'll add a craftable scythe so you can collect plant material and random seeds. Then you can replant grass and grow a few other things that you find in the grass. Perhaps carrots, grapes, strawberries,  potatoes, corn, turnips... Pumpkins! Spooky season time!

The scythe could also be used as a weapon, too...

Oh hoof. Making pathfinding enemies is hard.

Next update will probably be the grass/scythe/farming one, then maybe the one after will be enemies.

Fayabella

Hey, look, wildgrass!

I might edit the colours later, based on how well it goes with my grass/ground tiles.

Now, I have a question- Should I implement these like the fences/clovers, which are grid-based tiles, and have it autotile like the fences, or should I make each grass piece a separate actor, allowing for more randomness/smoothness when the player scythes it? I'm planning on having the grass spawn in patches, like the clovers.

While autotiling these may be harder to code, I'm not sure if a bunch of tiny actors will affect performance negatively.

Edit: I could also, instead of each blade being an actor, just have small patches of grass be actors.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:44:45 pm by Fayabella »

Bombini

Hi,
my advice would be to go with autotiling.
Your levels are not small and this will make your life easier creating them.
Also this could be helpful when you start maybe later interacting with it (les say burn it or harvest it).

i totally get the point of missing variations but i woudl try to do this with coding.

Cheers!

Fayabella

Alright! I'll go with that, then. It'll be a little harder to program than the fences, because the grass slightly depends on corners as well, but I'll do it.

I may program a spread, too, so that it grows over time.

Fayabella

Modified the wildgrass tiles:

I changed the colours and added more tiles. The only ones I don't have for a 4-way tile check are 5 and 10; I'm just going to set them to the same tile as 0 (of which there are 4 variations).

For the corner checks, I may need a few more than just those 4 tiles. I'll start with that, though.

Fayabella

Here's what it looks like!
And actually, it looks surprisingly well considering there's no corner-checking yet. I may leave that out for now until I program the scythe.

I've also made the map bigger- now it's 96x72 instead of 64x48 tiles.

squeeb

This is coming along nicely! Great job
Is that a detailed map of the scene top left corner?