Insurgence of Forgotten Fairies

Akemi

  • *
  • Posts: 11
  I'm not quite sure what you mean. I understand the idea behind a border around the game area, but how would borders around the text work?  Just boxes around the text, or something more complicated?

JeffreyDriver

  • *
  • Posts: 2152
Yeah, just a box/frame around each bit of text.
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

Akemi

  • *
  • Posts: 11
  I don't really love the idea of a frame around the text, but I did experiment with something similar:


  It looks a bit cluttered right now, but I think with some tweaking it could work. I also edited the 3D background a bit, and it looks a lot nicer.

Akemi

  • *
  • Posts: 11
 I started implementing Potential Shifts/bombs.

 This is Kiyoko's A-type bomb: "Charge Danmaku: World Ender". So far I've got bomb damage and triggering working. I still have to implement a limit to bombs, as well as a way to acquire them.

Akemi

  • *
  • Posts: 11

  It's been a while. I feel a bit disappointed that I don't have more to show visually, but I've been hard at work on the programming side of the game, as well as the music.

  This image might not look that much different, but it's actually running a completely from scratch bullet "engine", if you will, using the Image API. As of this writing, it's a conglomeration of the Image API and ten separate lists, each with a separate value for each individual bullet. I then run through the lists each frame, and update the position and angle of the images to coincide with the values stored in the lists. While it was a bit of a pain to get working, the plus side is that now I only require a single block to spawn a bullet, I have much greater control over what I can do with each bullet, and the framerate isn't tanking because of the sheer amount of actors on-screen.

  It still requires some polish, and there's a few things here and there that I need to optimize to get a fully steady framerate, but I thought that this was a good point to give an update on things.

Akemi

  • *
  • Posts: 11
  Just got back from vacation, and I've gotten a fair amount done!


  I've set up a system that allows me to assign an actor an attack mode, and put that together with an internal timer in the stage scene, and now I have the main stage enemies: fairies! They'll have the widest range of attacks, but are incredibly weak: only a couple shots kills them off.

  There are also new Potential pickups on screen. Along with those, I've also made pickups for Extend, Potential Shifts, and lives, each a different color: light blue, black, and rich red, respectively.

  It's a bit hard to see, but grazed bullets now get a purple/pink tint over them, indicating they've been grazed.

  I've drawn a new portrait for Kiyoko (again, probably for the last time, I'm very happy with her now), as well as the portraits for the Stage 2 bosses, though I'm not totally set on one of them.

  I've got lots of music partway composed, a lot of which will have to wait for another game, as they don't fit perfectly.

  I'm running into framerate issues with bullets again. I'm probably going to have to find another alternative to the Image API, or find a way to use it better, because as it stands now, I can't make the danmaku that I want. merrak gave me a bullet demo over on Discord that managed to run 4,000 bullets before dropping frames on his end, but I couldn't get it to run over 1,000 on mine. I want to get my game running smooth on my (relatively low-end, now) computer, that way I can let the most amount of people have access to it. But at the moment, I'm rather stumped as to how to go about this.

  Otherwise, I'm back again, so I should be able to post here a little more frequently.

merrak

  • *
  • Posts: 2512
It'd be interesting to know the specifics on how (Touhou?) game's engine works. It's not a game I'm familiar with--I just did some browsing on it. You might need some kind of hardware graphics acceleration to bump the bullet limit up significantly higher.

I took a look at some of these games and I'm thinking you'll need to improve the speed of the code I gave you by an order of magnitude to reproduce the patterns I've seen in some of the more elaborate screenshots. The sample I wrote took me about an hour to write, so there's probably some things that can be improved by taking more time... but I'd be surprised if there's enough to speed it up 10x.

It is possible to pass arrays to shaders, which would give you a route to take advantage of them. Shaders aren't something I know much about, but I'm currently looking into using them to speed up rendering in my game. If I come across anything that I think might also help you out, I'll pass it along.

Akemi

  • *
  • Posts: 11
Huh, didn't think of using shaders, but I'll look into them. I've tried to find the specifics of Touhou's engine before, but the guy behind it built it from scratch, so there's almost no documentation on it.