In Editor Preview Hooks?

MidnightRyder

So, I'm rolling my own Stencyl plugin for handling UI (I've got a couple other plugins I need to polish and publish at some point - so, not new at writing plugins).  One of the things that would be handy as hell - some way of previewing results in the editor.  There's already a play button in the Editor interface to show animations:  are there any Haxe accessible hooks I could leverage to, say, show a window size outline, text on screen, etc.?   I' m not seeing any in the documentation.

Justin

The editor is entirely Java, so any "preview" feature would need to be written in Java. Either you could write Java code to emulate the UI within the Scene Designer (though I'm not so sure this would be easy given the current state of Scene Designer extension), or you could utilize the game controller to pass information to a running game, and have the actual game (and its Haxe code) be your preview.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

MidnightRyder

Hm - OK, effort -vs- return on this isn't there for the moment, based on that info.  I prefer "live" design processes for UI, but I'll just have to make do without for now, and finish up the UI extensions as-is, and one of these days wrap 'em up for the rest of the community to play with someday.   At some point I might come back and explore it again, if I have time. :-)  Thanks for the info!

MidnightRyder

Is the source for the Scene Designer on GitHub?  Just browsed it a bit to have a look at the Scene Designer, and I'm only seeing the Engine stuff. 

Justin

None of the source for the editor is open. Only the engine source is available. As I mentioned before, it probably wouldn't be too easy to mess around with given it's current state. But in the future, I'd love to make the Scene Designer more extendable and prepare an API and documentation for that.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

MidnightRyder

Some extensiblity would be AWESOME.  There's a number of things about the Scene Designer that I'd love to be able to tweak, and some functionality here and there I'd love to add.  Of course, "in the future" is probably quite a ways away, since you're probably busy with other things :-)