Newbie questions

dekilana

Im sure you have been asked this many times before, Im just not sure how to search for such topics.
How far can you go with Stencyl? is this a lightweight engine for basic platformer games or can I make a complex game like Stardew valley, providing I had the knowledge, which I don't, at least not yet?
Publishing games to Steam for example? How does pricing work, can I make my game for free than subscribe for one year only? What happens to my game once I choose to end subscription, does it get deleted from steam, as I doubt many here would be making more than $99 a year on their games.
Thanks

Luyren

How far can you go with Stencyl? is this a lightweight engine for basic platformer games or can I make a complex game like Stardew valley, providing I had the knowledge, which I don't, at least not yet?
Publishing games to Steam for example? How does pricing work, can I make my game for free than subscribe for one year only? What happens to my game once I choose to end subscription, does it get deleted from steam, as I doubt many here would be making more than $99 a year on their games.
Thanks
As far as your skills can take you / See previous answer / Yes / Yes / The subscription only affects your ability to publish to certain platforms. If your game is on steam, it will stay there regardless of your subscription status. Read here.
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

dekilana

Thank you for replying Luyren, i have however ran into a problem very early on. Following a youtube tutorial for a simple char. controller, it was very easy to duplicate it. However upon running the game left and right works fine, up and down nothing happens and once i do press up or down it screws up my left and right movements as well.  I get no errors, and this early on for a very simple script it’s very demoralising. Does anyone know what could be an issue?

Luyren

Without providing the code you are using, we can only give blind guesses. When you have a behavior/event open, the bottom right corner has a camera icon. That will create a screenshot of your entire code, which you can post here so people can check for problems.
Twitter

dekilana

here is the code,  changing physics, "affected by gravity" made no difference either.

Luyren

I recreated your behavior and didn't have any problem with it. All key presses move at the desired direction, and multi-press is not supported, prioritizing the order of the code. You might have other behavior or event affecting the actor's movement.
Twitter

dekilana

I downloaded Mario sprite of the Stencyl forge, it came with some behaviours but I deleted them all, might have to try with one of my custom characters

**Edit
using my own character the controller works fine

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:24:45 pm by dekilana »