Adventure of Light - Demo I (HTML5)

The Nothing

I've been working on this game for about a month and a half and feel as though its time to get some feedback on it.

https://www.theoddgamedev.com/

This isn't necessarily going to be the first stage, so if its a little hard, bear that in mind.
Here is some things I need feedback on:

Are these enemies complex enough for the early game? I plan to make harder variations with more complex behavior as the game progresses.

Is the movement smooth enough? There's still some kinks to be worked out.

How can I improve the graphics and the music? Suggestions are welcome.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the demo, and you don't necessarily have to answer these questions to give feedback. Any feedback is great.

corbanwolf

Just some suggestions:
when player is on the edge i guess both events happen and override animation
collision shapes should be the same for most of animations
same
i think player is a bit slippery just like walking on ice
player can spam clicking attack all the time

The Nothing

I updated the hit boxes and physics a little bit. At the very least the shaky behavior at the edges should no longer happen.

Not quite sure how to eliminate the sliding yet.

corbanwolf

In physics there's a friction level. You can increase that a bit

Luyren

Friction will make your actor stick to walls though. What I recommend is to multiply the X speed of the actor to a number between 0 and 1 (excluding 1) when you release the keys to walk and if the X speed is greater than 0. You can control the amount of slowdown that way.

One bug I found: if you press a key in the title screen before the music starts, the music will start playing and won't be stopped. I ended up have both the stage theme and the title theme music playing at the same time.
Working.

The Nothing

I added another stage, before the previous one. Also, I got the slidiness to stop, but the fix doesn't work on jump through platforms. Is there any way to apply the same effect to platforms you can jump through?

Luyren

That depends on how you setup your "slidiness fix", and how your jump through platforms work. Sharing some code would help.
Working.

The Nothing

The code for stopping the sliding on ground.

The jump through platforms.

Luyren

If that is all your relevant code, my only guess is that "Jumping" is not being set to false when you land on a jump-through platform.
Working.

The Nothing

Here is more code.

It appears that my way of detecting a collision with the platform isn't working

Luyren

Sensors don't detect side of collision. You'd have to make an exception for your platforms in that case.
Working.