Difference between downloaded and Studio Version?

2DIndie

What's the difference between the download version and the studio version? Must i (re-)install the studio version after buying it or can i activate the installed one?

How to activate the studio version after buying it?

merrak

There aren't any differences between the two versions as far as what you're downloading. So you shouldn't need to reinstall anything after upgrading. The only difference is that the free version attaches a 'Trial Mode' tag to desktop and mobile builds. When you launch Stencyl and it logs into the account you set up, it checks your subscription status. If you have a subscription then the 'Trial Mode' tag will not appear on compiled games.

This means you can test your game on all platforms for free, but you'll need a subscription to publish a final version for desktop or mobile. Flash is completely free, albeit with the splash logo if not subscribed.

2DIndie

Thanks, i've read your answer many times (to understand), because i'm not english. ;)

I don't understand how the subscription works. :-[

Hmm, if i build a game it will compiled online? :o
Will it transfer (upload) any data to the online server to compile it or what? :-\
And will anything saved on the server which compiled the game?

merrak

Stencyl does not use a server or cloud system for compiling games. The only role the server plays is checking if you have a subscription. Everything else is handled locally.

If you open up the log viewer, you can see what happens. When you launch Stencyl, it sends your username and password to the server. In the log viewer you'll see "logged in as xxxxxx". If you have a subscription, you'll then see the line "thanks for subscribing to our indie/mobile plan". That's all the server does. After that point, you can disconnect from the internet entirely and Stencyl won't behave any different.

When games are compiled they're stored in a folder called games-generated. Where this folder is depends on your operating system. I don't know what it is for Windows or Mac. For Linux it is /home/(user)/stencylworks/games-generated.