SDK Update does not work

gcarne

I get errors when updating the Android SDK. I have read "[SOLVED] I can't change any of my mobile target versions when testing" which did not help. Before starting my update process I had Gingerbread in Minimum Version and Target Version was blank. Below are my current standings.

- Attachment Stencyl 10 is error message after trying to test on Android.
- Attachment Stencyl 11 is the settings after download. Minimum Version can be changed. Target Version can not be changed.
- Attachment Stencyl 12 shows how I did the download (took over an hour!). I also tried NDK 64 Bit (=my Windows 10)
- Attachment Stencyl 13 shows my android-sdk directory

What is the actual meaning of Minimum and Target Version? I do not think I understand this correctly. Could someone please explain?

I really hope someone can help. I got customers who installed my App now complaining about Android version compatibility.

I am not as technically skilled as most of you guys. Please try to explain, even if it is simple and obvious to you.

Thanks.

gcarne

Please anyone. . .my 18 months old app is doomed unless I can get this fixed.

Luyren

I have my Stencyl behaviors and resource packs available here: https://luyren.itch.io/

gcarne

As I wrote in the first sentence above, I have read that post and it did not help. The behavior I get is different.

yoplalala

In android-sdk, you should have a "platforms" folder which you don't, which may cause the problems.

( do you have the logs when you tried to install the platforms   ?)

you can try this
create the folder "platforms", inside it create "android-29", inside it extract platform-29.

gcarne

Hello yoplalala, your help worked and after some initial work with additional issues, I finally got the game compiled and onto my phone. Thanks a lot.  :)
One more question if you know the answer. I do not want to update for Android every 12 or 18 months. Is there a recommended Minimum and Target versions to keep it up to date for a while? I currently have API 20 minimun and 28 target.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:59:54 pm by gcarne »

yoplalala

You should try to have the  minimum target version, the lowest possible. I think now for this version of Stencyl and openfl, it's api 14. I don't think it will change before a few years, if ever.

for the target api

Starting August 1, 2019, Google Play requires that new apps target at least Android 9.0 (API level 28), and that app updates target Android 9.0 from November 1, 2019. Until these dates, new apps and app updates must target at least Android 8.0 (API level 26).

so API level is at least level 28,  you can choose api level 29 if you want to not change it for a while.

gcarne

It looks like the API's are ok now but when testing for Android I get a compilations error. The log file is attached.

Additional info that may or may not be relevant: The game is about 18 months old. I just updated to Stencyl 4.0.1. After the update I had to change the numbering on layers because the old numbering with some of the layers having leading zeros was not accepted in the new Stencyl version.

yoplalala

did you uninstall stencyl before installing stencyl 4.0 ?

gcarne

No. Can I do that without damaging/deleting the game?

JeffreyDriver

Yes. Export/backup your game first. (something which you should do frequently anyway.) Then remove and reinstall Stencyl.
Current Projects:
The Grand Grimoire Chronicles Episode 1 now on Kongregate!.
I always appreciate useful feedback. Thank you.
www.jeffreydriver.co.uk

gcarne

Many thanks to Jeffrey and yoplalala. I did what you both suggested and it now works. However, on the device my game logo is replaced with "Stencyl Trial Mode" and after starting the game, there is the same text in the top left corner of the game itself. I did not have this in my previous version of Stencyl, or at least I do not think so (am not sure at which point in my development I paid my fees). Does this go away after I have paid the yearly fee?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:56:28 pm by gcarne »