Dungeon Generator?

Holypeanut187

I'm planning to make a dungeon crawler game in 2d from the top-down perspective and with google searches, I haven't found much of what I need. I was wondering how I can make a dungeon generator that puts some rooms together with 1 starter room and 1 finish room. For the game, I was hoping it could have the main menu where you click play and after every dungeon, there is a new random dungeon, and every 10 or so dungeons have a boss level.

JeffreyDriver

Yes, it's possible. People have achieved this in Stencyl. Level generation is quite a complex thing to do though. There's probably some extensions to help but it's not something I've looked into. I've only done really, really simple level generation myself.

Holypeanut187

I'll look into some extensions and see if I can find one, Thanks!

JeffreyDriver

Lots of people ask "Is X possible in Stencyl?" and the answer in nearly always  'Yes'

Even rudimentary 3D stuff can be done with an extension.

merrak

While not the best example of procedural generation, the source code for my Ludum Dare game "Evolution Dungeon" is downloadable: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-%2035/?action=preview&uid=46508 so you can see how this kind of thing can be implemented in Stencyl.

There's been quite a bit of discussion on the forums--if you run a search for procedural generation or maze generation, you'll find it. My AITools extension may be useful, too. It has an implementation of Prim's Algorithm and A*, as well as some other graph tools that would be useful for a data structure.