Stencyl's Future

2wasted2

Hello
I have been playing around with Stencyl for years making games just for myself. I'm now thinking of buying a full license  but would like to check one thing before I do.
I thought I read that Stencyl might not be compatible  with android in the future??? Is there any truth to this and if so let's say I published a game today would there be problems with it in time on the playstore.
Many Thanks for any replys

Justin

Stencyl will continue to remain compatible with Android in the future. Developing for platforms like Android and iOS may require effort on your part to keep the app up-to-date with Google's/Apple's latest requirements though.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Wasanni

Does this mean that Stencyl is no longer in development?

I haven't seen any changes in the changelog in a while. I'm a little more than halfway through a pretty big rpg game with online features after about a year of working on it with a team. Is it still a good idea to take another 8-10 months to complete the game or should I just switch engine to save myself a lot of trouble in the near future?

yoplalala

The changelog is not always ( sadly) updated. But a better way to see how active the developpement is to see the commits page of stencyl
https://github.com/Stencyl/stencyl-engine/commits/master

of course this this is only the stencyl engine, stencyl's interface code is not accessible to the public

Justin

Sorry, perhaps my answer was a little unclear. I meant that even as Stencyl remains compatible (and it will, since it's still being developed), the nature of mobile app stores is such that things generally won't just stay ok on them forever. So in particular, I was responding to this part of the post.

Quote from: 2wasted2
let's say I published a game today would there be problems with it in time on the playstore.

At a minimum, the play store may introduce updates that, in order to take advantage of, you will want to download the latest version of Stencyl and export your game again for the store. At other times, you may want to re-release your game to properly support more recently released devices. Keeping an app up to date on an app store will often require some effort on your part.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Wasanni

Ah ok, I misunderstood. I thought we would have to update parts of the engine or APIs to export our apps with the latest requirements. Updating our own apps though is completely understandable and expected. Thanks for clearing that up!