Games that inspire you.

Leaufai

My biggest inspiration is without a doubt VVVVVV and its creator Terry Cavanagh. That game really convinced I should do more with game development (I always loved playing games in which I could build my own worlds such as SimCity and later went a step further and started modding games). I've always been more of a level designer than an artist or programmer and VVVVVV showed me that even a game with such simple graphics could work so well and be so successfull. Terry's personal story is also pretty inspiring, having plunged himself in debt just so he could finish VVVVVV.

Sokky

Cave Story, Bastion.... I can't think of others right now, but there are a lot more.
Also shows tend to inspire me, too.

GLaDOS V3

other games that inspire me are portal (one and two), the half life series, left for dead 1 and 2 and the GTA series

ipe 369

is minecraft an indie game? cos that's sexy. Not made in flash or anything, it's all java, but it is really good :P

ef-x

indie wise? I'd say Braid, Machinarium...you know the usual. Since my only connection to indie games are the humble bundles and websites like Newgrounds and Kongregate I can't think of much. Every day the same dream by molleindustria influenced me with its minimalist approach to game design. Aether left me with that "Little Prince" feeling, a sense of nostalgia just for the sake of nostalgia; I mean even if it did not bring back memories it evoked nostalgia.  Now company made games the like of Bethesda and Squaresoft...that's a whole other story.

magicpegasus

As you can probably tell from my latest WIP, bit.trip.runner! I also find inspiration in very old games that are still fun and playable, especially 2600 or old DOS games.

Star Control 2, worms, bomberman, too many to list!

JemDkyl

Bioshock, amazes me because of its creativity. It's not just another "defuse the bomb beat the bad guys" game.. I like games with a complex story. Skyrim disappointed me very much with that, "world will end but you're the last hope of humanity", like we haven't seen enough games like that.

alexsilent

Indie:
VVVVVVVV
Cave Story
Aquaria
Knytt Stories
Terraria
Spelunky
Machinarium
Consoles:
Silent Hill
Beyond Oasis
Zelda
Metroid
Rune Factory & Harvest Moon
Mario
AAA PC:
Portal 1,2
Master of Orion
Fallout (favorite is New Vegas)
Arcanum
Planescape
TES (favorite is Skyrim)
Bioshock
GTA (favorite San Andreas)

LDeathnote

For me it has to be Yume Nikki, I think everyone should give it a try!! And its free to download! :D

The visuals, layouts, bgm, styles, everything! Can get boring though due to the aimless wandering but keep at it and you will start to fall for it.

The easter eggs.. 0.o

Crossland88

Most of you probably never played it, but one of the first games i really got into when i was a kid was a space sim called Escape Velocity. It is a 2d space sandbox type universe with many aliens races and ship upgrades eventually you buy and upgrade massive ships and take over planets and such. Since i don't see many games of it's type anymore, I am working on a game inspired by it in Stencyl. I is coming along very good over the last many weeks. Ill pot a demo soon enough
Making questionable quality games since HyperCard

benjamino59

Fixation. It´s a sad and touching story.

GeniusBear

Hello,

The most inspired game I ever played was : "The adams family" for NES.

Gr.Maarten
Do you need art for your game? Here are some demo's from my upcoming game:
http://www.geniusbear.com/demo/lumberjackdemo.png
http://www.geniusbear.com/demo/clouddemo.png

coleislazy

Most of you probably never played it, but one of the first games i really got into when i was a kid was a space sim called Escape Velocity. It is a 2d space sandbox type universe with many aliens races and ship upgrades eventually you buy and upgrade massive ships and take over planets and such. Since i don't see many games of it's type anymore, I am working on a game inspired by it in Stencyl. I is coming along very good over the last many weeks. Ill pot a demo soon enough

One of the most awesome games ever. I can't wait to see your take on it!

I actually have a tech demo of the flying mechanics. It was a pain to get the "hold down to spin opposite of your movement" effect.

rlc2405

As you can probably tell from my latest WIP, bit.trip.runner! I also find inspiration in very old games that are still fun and playable, especially 2600 or old DOS games.

Star Control 2, worms, bomberman, too many to list!

Worms 1 is soo goood! Amazing, Amazing, Amazin Game!

(a kind of game that I think could be done with Stencyl in great style!)

sonicspeed53

Minecraft
Cave Story
I Really Just Want To Be Up There, You Know? People Playing My Games And Enjoying Them, That's The Dream...