Making Monkeys - Sponsored by Armor Games

Jon

Congrats to Greg Sergeant (Greg-Anims) for publishing his first Stencyl game. It was picked up by Armor Games, a first for a Stencyl game and the cream of the crop for a sponsor.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:50:51 pm by Jon »

Ethan

Great game- loved watching the monkeys die and using them as a platform. Also of course congrats on landing such a big sponsor, especially during the holiday season where, unless I'm doing something wrong, there's not a whole lot of sponsor activity.

I think Jon was implying this in his first post, but this is most certainly the most relevant Stencyl game to date. Good luck and I hope you were able to get a performance bonus in the sponsorship deal, because it will do very well.

thegenericbanana

Great game, I love the idea. But do the monkeys look more like toast than monkeys, or is it me? :P
And Ethan, I read the success stories, and this game was accepted by the sponsor a while ago, but it just came out now.
Johnny Turbo's Surgery Frenzy

Jon

The sponsor actually didn't close the transaction until last week.

Hectate

Incredible game. Awesome job!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Rhys

I had a lot of fun playing through the game, it's a great idea and it's really well executed. Congratulations Greg-Anims!

loved watching the monkeys die
:'(

SWATLLAMA

Greg-Anims, you made Boxmen, right? In Actionscript?

I really liked the gameplay mechanics in this game though. Who doesn't love shooting monkeys out of a gun? :)
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

rlc2405

Love the game (and i also love coffee.. :)

the gun is simple genius!

Congratulations!

SubjectZX

Is it better to be published on kongregate or on armor games?

SWATLLAMA

I don't like the terms armorgames makes you agree to for them to sponsor you. But whichever pays more - it varies game to game.

He won't get a 50% ad revenue bonus from Kongregate, but probably 35%.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Hectate

I don't like the terms armorgames makes you agree to for them to sponsor you. But whichever pays more - it varies game to game.

But being sponsored by Armor Games might drive up traffic so 35% more more veiws might end up being more money than 50% of fewer views.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Jon

But being sponsored by Armor Games might drive up traffic so 35% more more veiws might end up being more money than 50% of fewer views.

There's also the recognizability factor / resume booster. Any ArmorGames game gets you instantly recognized in the bidding process and drives up your bids in the future.

Ethan

Coincidentally one of the only in-depth looks at a game's journey to being sponsored I've seen has Armor Games as the winning bidder: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27924/InDepth_Behind_Flash_Game_SteamBirds_Revenue_Deals.php

In terms of Kongregate vs. Armor Games, there's a lot in this article about how nice and personable Dan, the Armor Games guy, is. I also hear good things about Kongregate (is it Greg?). So that's something, along with prestige, they both have going for them.

A lot of the factors can be estimated (like the ad revenue) but it seems like from this article the intangibles really pushed the deal over the top. In my one game that I've accepted a bid for, I took an exclusive license over a primary license, which is a worse deal, simply because the sponsor has a reputation for being nice. As a sponsored game virgin, I was looking for someone who'd be gentle.