Prototype request

Bombini

Hi guys,

i would like to explore a game idea and i dont know how to approach it yet.
There for i am sharing what i would need (all in ugly placeholder art; this is about the logic) and i would like to know what it would cost. It is very important to me that i can use this as a base and add a lot features myself. I dont know yet about the size of the game. it should not hick up the game if i change size of the screen.

Prototype/logic for an exploration game:
  • I need a path system (pixel, actor  or curve or whatever works best) which i can place/draw and advance in the scene designer easy. This is my main point. It should be easy to add new paths, cities and encounters to the system.
  • Locations on paths:
    • Where an actor (the player) can travel from one location (pixel or actor) to another one. I will use those locations to show popups, embed mini games and so on. The actor must stop at this location and wait for the players input if the player enters the first time.
    • I should be able to place those locations on or in the paths in the scene designer
    • The player should be able to choose where to go to when hitting a location (all possible directions). I will do the interaction but i need to be able to tell the system which way to go if the player chooses to.
  • Skill check (will do myself only for your information): 
    • I need to be able to add a very simple list/map with values "skills" (a value in a list/map) which will be a requirement for some locations (to use specific buttons like directions or actions or even to discover secret locations)
  • Paths reveal itself when travelling:
    • New paths should be able to show up, when travelling first time to a location (kind of like discovering a new path). Every path and city has to be discovered. There should also be new paths which only show up if the needed values in a list or map are present (see above; i will add this myself).

To get a better picture:

This is how navigation should work:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:10:57 am by Bombini »

yoplalala

Hum. Seems interesting, I think I know how I could do for most of the things. How will you draw the paths ? Will you use tiles ?  I don't think you can draw pixels on the scene designer ?

squeeb

I'd draw the paths onto the images with set pixel color and image api... and create a "pixel check" for collisions for path.. if color of pixel is color of line pixel color... then you can move player in that direction... along the line.. if the color of the pixel next to you isnt line color.. you cannot move that way.  I've made something like that before

Bombini

Sorry guys,
seems like notifications didnt work and id didnt see your post. Thats why my late reply.
squeeb pinged me a bit earlier on discord. So he would have the job if he still wants it.

I have a version which checks pixel and color but i cant get the other things done.

Looks like this:

Also i wont get the pixel drawing done.
I tried with merraks pathfinding tools but this requires too much performance on bigger maps.

Cheers!

yoplalala

Hi ok no worries ! :)

Just for the code you posted
Set an attribute to the "current screen as image". and then check the pixel .
Now you capturing the screenshot from one to four times, instead of just one, which is little more intensive :).

I think you can use Merrak tools, but you have to simplify paths before ( by not using the  pixel paths, which have too many pixels, but the logical paths between the cities)

If squeeb isn't interested anymore you can contact me

merrak

In order to use AITools pathfinding on maps with a large number of nodes, you'll need to break the map into subsectors. If you can, reducing the number of nodes, like yoplalala suggests, would probably be the simplest approach. If that idea complicates some other part of your project, you could still search a large area using the subsector approach. You may remember my description of this idea (here: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/index.php?topic=41034.msg301147#msg301147).

The maps in Towers of Vallas are 80 x 80 x 4 nodes, which is about an order of magnitude smaller than your maps--but the approach could still work. The basic idea is that you break the map into subsectors (say, 32 x 32 pixels). Create a "main graph" that records which subsectors are connected to each other. Each subsector has its own graph that determines which walkable pixels are connected, and can get the player either to the next subsector, or the target if the player is in the same subsector as the target.

You could also have subsectors and break those into even smaller subsubsectors. In theory, I think you can remove CPU usage as a bottleneck in searching graphs--although my experience managing subdivisions wasn't a pleasant one  :o The graph searching aspect worked great, but I had all kinds of other issues (namely, rendering) with subsectors.