Luyren's AI and Combat Pack

Luyren

I'm hard at work on a new resource back, focused on combat and combat AI. It allows you to create your own attacks, as well as customize the actions the enemies in your game will take. It's compatible with all my previous resource packs, and work for both platformer and top-down games.

As with the Cutscene Resource Pack, I'll be posting weekly on this thread talking about all the features, leading up to the release whenever that may be. For more constant updates, you can follow me on twitter or join Stencyl's Discord server.

Basic Combat
This pack will come in two version:
  • Basic Combat: the free version, comes with Health, Energy, basic attack behaviors, aiming, 8 Way Movement, AI patrol and raycasting.
  • Full Version: the paid version comes with all that, plus the Command List behavior, with which you customize conditions, input and events for special attcks, the Action Manager behavior to manage an hierarchy of actions your AI actors can take, as well as several other AI behaviors.

The basic combat works by creating a damager, an actor that will inflict the damage, for both ranged and melee attacks. You also set an Identifier Friend or Foe for your actors, or IFF. Only actors with different IFFs can damage each other. This is used from simple player versus enemies to different factions battling each other. The attacks are compatible with my RPG Elements pack, so the inflicted damage can be based off of your actor's status and combat statistics.

Attacks also have priority numbers. The gist of it is that if you perform a sequence of attacks with increasing priority number, you can bypass the invincibility period after enemies are damaged.

You can configure the position of the damager based on the actor's facing and the direction the actor is aiming at. It also has support for mouse control, and for ranged attacks, you can fire projectiles towards the mouse.

For Health, you have several display options, you can customize invincibility effect and stun states upon taking damage and a sequence of events when an actor is defeated. You also have full control over damage calculation and can even create your own damage formulas. Energy works in a similar way, and you can have multiple energy types, each with their own current and maximum values and display settings. Both can also be tied to RPG Elements.

The 8 Way Movement behavior can be used both for basic movement in top-down games, for AI-controlled actors to set their animation depending on the direction they are moving, and for platformer actors to fly, with the option to set requirements and a time limit or energy cost. It also has an option to limit to 4 way movement.

And as with all my resources, everything is highly customizable: features that you don't have use for, such as aiming, damage invincibility or multiple energy types,can be ignored or configured out.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:04:50 pm by Luyren »
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

Luyren

Basic Combat #2 and Behaviors List
I've posted this on my twitter and completely forgot about it last week, so here it is: the behavior list for both the free Basic Combat Pack and the full AI and Combat Pack.

Also mentioned in the previous post about attack priority, so here it is in action:

One thing I added recently is animated icons option for the health and energy displays.

Now for something new: while the Basic Combat version doesn't include the AI features, it has a patrol AI behavior, which can be used in both top-down and platforming games. You can randomize the patrol, determine what happens when it reaches a tile ledge or a wall, and it works with semi-solid platforms.

Right now I'm working on more display options for health, to emulate the styles of Super Metroid (SNES) and Alundra (PSX). I'm also working on more mouse options for the basic attacks and skills.

Next week I'll go more in-depth about the full version's exclusive features, starting with the behavior that lets you fully customize attacks and skills.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:38:30 pm by Luyren »
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

tabletop

Im really excited for this. As a girl I want to make a game.