[iOS] [SW1.4P] Landscape orientation issues

kidbeyond

In SW 1.4 Preview:

1. Drawing actions -- draw text, fill rect, etc. -- do not seem to be respecting landscape orientation. See attached screenshot.

2. The landscape orientation chosen for the game is now upside-down from the orientation chosen in 1.3.4. In other words:

- In 1.3.4: To play the game, I hold the device with the Home button on the right.
- In 1.4 P: To play the game, I hold the device with the Home button on the left.

... which is fine -- I just need to rotate my splash screen image to match the new orientation -- but if you didn't intend this, I just wanted to let you know.

Jon-iPad

Is this if you check auto rotate?

simulator, device or both?

kidbeyond

Problem #1 above occurs whether or not auto-rotate is checked. Both device and simulator.

Problem #2 is moot when auto-rotate is checked -- auto-rotate, woohoo! The splash screen doesn't auto-rotate, though -- I assume that's to be expected? I guess I just have to make my splash screen orientation-neutral (i.e., portrait)?

Jon

For #1, could you do a quick check for me and in a complete list, determine which respect and do not respect the orientation? I tested on Catapult since it does a fair bit of custom drawing and must have missed something along the way.

kidbeyond

For #1, could you do a quick check for me and in a complete list, determine which respect and do not respect the orientation?

Which what? Do you mean each different drawing action?

In the above screenshot, the improperly-rotated stuff is a "fill rect" and two "draw text"s. I haven't been using any other drawing actions, but if you want me to try them all, let me know.

Jon

Yeah, a runthrough of the other drawing actions would help.

kidbeyond

Okay, based on a quick test, every one of the actions in Simple Drawing do not respect landscape orientation.

In the attached screenshot, to the [draw text] and [fill rect] that were there before, I added
- draw line
- fill pixel
- draw round rect
- draw circle
... all set at coordinates of x=y (e.g, [20,20]) -- i.e., going down the top-left-to-bottom-right axis.

In the screenshot, you'll see that they're all at their Portrait equivalents.

Also, [send to layer #] is doing this too -- it immediately rotates the actor and moves it to its Portrait-equivalent coordinates.

All of this happens in both simulator and device.
- - - - -

Also, separate from the landscape stuff, collision boundaries on scaled actors are a bit haywire -- when I scale an actor even by a little bit, its collision boundaries become huge. If you need fuller info on that, let me know.

Jon

Is the Catapult game drawing fine for you? That's a landscape game that custom draws the slingshot, among other things.

kidbeyond

Catapult draws fine for me. The slingshot works as expected.

Jon

Unzip and stick the file into plaf/ios/ - Hopefully, this works as I was working on some other stuff.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2769678/libStencyl.a.zip

kidbeyond

Thanks! That fixed all the problems, except for...

Also, [send to layer #] is doing this too -- it immediately rotates the actor and moves it to its Portrait-equivalent coordinates.

and...

Also, separate from the landscape stuff, collision boundaries on scaled actors are a bit haywire -- when I scale an actor even by a little bit, its collision boundaries become huge. If you need fuller info on that, let me know.

Should I put these in separate bug postings?

Jon

Yeah, I only fixed the original problems with the drawing. Didn't look into the others yet.

Jon

Yeah, it's easier to track if they are separate. Please tag them with 1.4 Preview too.

Jon

Upside down issue fixed here.
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,5763.msg41231.html#new

Get me a test game for the other issues. Makes it quicker for me to debug. I think the scale issue might have been me in the middle of fixing it but running into snags.