Poll

Which game genre (RTS, hack n slash, etc) do you like the most?

Real time strategy
5 (12.2%)
Hack n Slash
3 (7.3%)
Turn based strategy
7 (17.1%)
MMORPG
7 (17.1%)
Platformer
13 (31.7%)
Dungeon Crawler
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: January 17, 2012, 08:04:18 am

Game Genre

solarius

This is to decide what games I would make and let me know about which kinds of games are in demand.

Post your reasons for voting and what specific games you enjoy the most!

GameZone

Hey, looks like Turn-based strategy is winning.
How can you be enjoyed when you are an immature annoyance in at least ONE way?

rob1221

You would probably be better off making something you're interested in.

mukowAPPS

i like mmorpg the best, buuut thats a massive project that your not just going to make without a big team.

GameZone

i like mmorpg the best, buuut thats a massive project that your not just going to make without a big team.

Actually, it depends on how big, and detailed the MMORPG is. Like, say... There was just a small region consisting of only, like, 5 towns and a basic surrounding area, like grass, and was 2D, he could make it by himself within a few months, probably. But, if it was a LARGE region with many towns, a detailed surrounding area, containing mountains, deserts, oceans, etc. and was 3D, he would DEFINITELY need a big team. Actually, if EITHER of them were 3D, he would require a team anyway.

Miasmos Games

I agree, you need a certain amount of personal interest and passion in a project to finish it, and if you're just creating something because it's 'popular' you probably won't get very far. In any case, no matter the genre, if your game is original and interesting people will play it.

Cupcake Bounce

GameZone

I agree, you need a certain amount of personal interest and passion in a project to finish it, and if you're just creating something because it's 'popular' you probably won't get very far. In any case, no matter the genre, if your game is original and interesting people will play it.

Well, think about it, there are more types of game genres than what are shown on the list above. (Such as shooters.) Those are probably the ones that he is interested in.

Miasmos Games

Well, think about it, there are more types of game genres than what are shown on the list above. (Such as shooters.) Those are probably the ones that he is interested in.
But it's pretty hard to work on 6 games simultaneously, especially if you want them to be good enough to do well, and especially considering one is an MMORPG. You must focus, young one! Focus, and find the true meaning of game creation!

Cupcake Bounce

Manuel

Your list is lacking some genres (racing, point and click, STG, puzzle, etc...), but I voted for platformer, since it's the genre I prefer from the list.
But like some have mentioned you should do whatever game you want to do, not because of the public interest in a certain genre. :)
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

GameZone

But it's pretty hard to work on 6 games simultaneously, especially if you want them to be good enough to do well, and especially considering one is an MMORPG. You must focus, young one! Focus, and find the true meaning of game creation!

Who said he would he would be doing 6 games simutaneously? I would normally think that he would start with the one most voted, then continue with the second most voted, then the third, and so on. Plus, how do you know if I really AM young? I have not put my age anywhere.

Miasmos Games

Who said he would he would be doing 6 games simutaneously? I would normally think that he would start with the one most voted, then continue with the second most voted, then the third, and so on. Plus, how do you know if I really AM young? I have not put my age anywhere.
Yes, but what I, and some of the others are specifically saying is that he shouldn't choose which one he does first based on public opinion, but rather on whatever he has a passion to create. (And the young was intentioned at him in a kung-fu mastery sort of way).

Cupcake Bounce

GameZone

Yes, but what I, and some of the others are specifically saying is that he shouldn't choose which one he does first based on public opinion, but rather on whatever he has a passion to create. (And the young was intentioned at him in a kung-fu mastery sort of way).

Eh, I suppose that makes sense.  :-\

Aasimar

Oh yeah, you need a big team for a MMORPG and also a big investment for all the team.
It's a long long way, I work since 4 years on DOFUS, it's really cool but it's also really a big responsability, for your team and also the community.

I think I could love work on a new MMO one day, with an independant team, but seriously, say goodbye to your wife, lol.

GameZone

Oh yeah, you need a big team for a MMORPG and also a big investment for all the team.
It's a long long way, I work since 4 years on DOFUS, it's really cool but it's also really a big responsability, for your team and also the community.

I think I could love work on a new MMO one day, with an independant team, but seriously, say goodbye to your wife, lol.

Remember, it actually depends on the size of the MMORPG. He might not need a team at all.

Raiyumi

MMORPG all the way! ;)

You'll probably need a lot of time and a big team for MMORPG's. (Unless you mean MORPG's)
I use to play a few small MORPG's from those 2d top-down MORPG's makers which were refreshing from the everyday MMO. I'd suggest starting with platformers though. ;P