Standalone Blocks randomly appearing at top right [FIXED, b368]

Jon

Users recently reported a regression in which blocks would randomly appear at the top left. This has been fixed, and a single-file patch to b368 will go out tonight.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:34:05 pm by Jon »

Jon

Jon

Has anybody had a chance to verify that this is now fixed? Preferably those who originally reported this. (Blackbishop and Masked)

Ceric

I'm not seeing this anymore and I did notice it before. I've checked out a number of Behaviors, a couple of which I know had this issue, and I'm not seeing it. Not sure if that's enough verification for you - BB and Masked should probably check in on this, too.

Joe

I posted about this on Basecamp. I think we can close it.

Greg

This just started happening to me as I was coding the Cutscene pack.  I started development on the b368 preview -- has this been fixed since then, or was it a new addition?

Also, if this does happen to us -- what's the fix to get rid of the blocks?  Looks pretty unprofessional to have them hanging around up there, so I'd like to kill them off.  It definitely had to do with copying blocks from one Behavior to another, just not sure on the steps to reproduce. 

Joe

I think it was fixed mid-preview. Matt posted a repro case on Basecamp: https://stencyl.basecamphq.com/projects/5393589/todo_items/84352546/comments

What happens if you try to delete those blocks manually and save? Does it not work?

Greg

You can right click and delete them and they appear to go away.  However if you save, close the Behavior and then reopen the behavior, they're right back up top. 

This can be seen in the "Cutscene Pack" game on Forge.  The behavior called "CS Movement" has a rogue "[ ] > [ ]" block towards the top that won't go away. 

Greg

Ok well this is even stranger now.  I just reproduced in my game to verify what I wrote about -- it worked as I described.  Then I went back to try it one more time, and it removed the block this time. 

Let's just go with it for now, I'll consider this fixed :)

Joe

Do you get any NPEs? As I noted in Basecamp, I got an NPE when trying to remove those blocks with Ctrl-K. We might have to edit the XML files manually to remove them. :-\

Matt_S

Do you get any NPEs? As I noted in Basecamp, I got an NPE when trying to remove those blocks with Ctrl-K. We might have to edit the XML files manually to remove them. :-\
I'm unavailable to do anything about this tonight, but the distinguishing feature of these ghost blocks is that they are placed in a group.  The reason it was glitchy is because, in fixing another bug, I put code that prevented normal blocks from being assigned to a group; the fix was just to keep the normal blocks from being assigned to a group with an index other than -1.  I haven't looked closely at the code to clean up loose blocks, but I'd guess there's something where it's expecting either no group or a group with an index of -1.