Is there a way to have an actor already transparent when created?

nev

I searched the forum for the answer, but didn't find anything (maybe wrong keywords?)...
I would like to have a semi-transparent black screen fading in over my scene. The problem is that, when it is created, it is opaque. I tried to fade out the black screen actor in 0 seconds when created and then fading it in, but I got it visible for a fraction of a second when created. Obviously that's disturbing.
So, is there a way to create an actor which is already in a transparent state?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Nev

rob1221

Yes, you just have to make the transparent actor in any program capable of doing so and save it in any format that supports transparent images.

Abigayl

If you simply want it invisible when made, in the behavior for it, in the palette go to Actors -> Properties -> bottom is "show sprite for self", drag it into "when created" and change the "show" into "hide".
If you need help, please check my tutorials either here or Kongregate (http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/Abigayl) or come over to my stream: http://www.livestream.com/poweredbyflowers

nev

Uhm, probably I didn't explained myself very well. I intend to have a not transparent actor being created (by the "create actor" command) with alpha = 0.

nev

@ abigayl
I posted before beeing able to see your answer. Thanks, I'll try that!

nev

Tryed it. But, as I suspected, when I use the fade-in block, the actor doesn't appear... (btw, "show sprite for self" is the "Draw", not in "Properties"  ;) )

rob1221

I tested the fading with a opaque actor and it worked fine for me.  Is that the first block under "when created"?

coleislazy

Hide the sprite when created, then fade its opacity to 0 over 0 seconds. You won't get the split-second "flash". Then, right before you start fading it back in, show its sprite.

nev

@rob1221
Are you referring to fade-in or fade-out?

@coleislazy
Thanks. Didn't tried yet, but so surely works. A bit convoluted though. An option in the "create" block to set initial alpha would be nice: I will post in the suggestion part of the forum.

rob1221

@rob1221

When created, I faded the actor out in 0 seconds (I didn't see it), and then I faded it back in over a couple seconds.

nev

Quote from: nev on Today at 01:20:43 am
@rob1221

When created, I faded the actor out in 0 seconds (I didn't see it), and then I faded it back in over a couple seconds.

I guess you are creating the actor at the very start of a scene, right? If so, the blinking is not to be seen, because it is hidden by the scene fading in. But if it is created after a while, when the scene is already faded in, you shall see the actor appearing for a small fraction of a second. (At least it does so on my iPad...)

rob1221

That's correct.  Is there a reason you can't do the same?  You can fade out the actor when created and then at a later point fade it back in.

applaud

@rob - I was doing that with a large actor. The problem was it would occasionally flash on screen before the instant fade out - so its best to use the hide sprite and fade to 0% approach. Then use show sprite and fade in when you want it.