[windows]Large Stencyl Icon

Rhys

In Windows Vista and 7 icons are shown up to 256x256 pixels. It would be neat if StencylWorks had an icon that met this size.

Alexin

I'll include one in the next installer version.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Jon

On that note, I think that we ought to brush up the icon a little bit by adding a drop shadow to the edges and apply a subtle etching effect to the cog, kinda like the Adobe icons do (which is actually the standard thing to do on a Mac icon).

irock

I agree that the icon needs some brushing up. Honestly, it looks extremely boring compared to other icons, especially in OS X. It also looks quite oversized.

Regarding the size, I think icons on OS X go up to 512x512.

EDIT: That said, I'd take a shot at this if I had the raw Stencyl cog to work with.

irock

I had trouble making these without an actual SVG of the cog itself, so I resized the cog-on-red SVG and ripped the cog in Photoshop, but it looks horribly sharp/rough because of it. I'm having trouble ripping smaller ones for making smaller icons.. so I only made 512x512 versions, and I'm not sure if you're supposed to have a bunch of different versions or if operating systems are just good at resizing images, because I can barely see the cog's spikes when I resize it to 16x16.

Glossy version for fun.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:03:10 am by Irock »

Rhys

I love the glossy version - I think that should be used.

fishkid

I (personally) like the the second one (looks better for windows), but the first could be used on macs.

RandomJibberish

I tried converting it to icns and adding it to Stencyl via the copy/paste method to see how it looked on a mac, and it seems a little small compared to other icons.

Very lovely otherwise though.

irock

Can you show me the full dock?

Alexin

I don't like glossy icons. It looks like the gloss is there just to make it "cool". It really is overused.
The dock, however, looks very nice and the icon stands out enough, not too much.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

irock

I'm working on a vector of the icon. I've never worked with vector graphics before, so this is all new to me. I just realized that I can use the svg from the media kit to make my life a lot easier.

EDIT: I'm not working on a vector for this. I'll just add the fancy stuff in Photoshop.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:23:12 pm by Irock »

Jon-iPad

I don't like glossy icons. It looks like the gloss is there just to make it "cool". It really is overused.
The dock, however, looks very nice and the icon stands out enough, not too much.

The gloss on Mac is there to obey conventions. Being consistent is often more important than being right.

Jon-iPad

If you think the cog is too wi py, try the bolder version I asked for at lucandrea posted up today.