"Walking" and "Jumping" behaviors not working

Vulturewing

I have a problem that I can't seem to fix. You see, I have the player, and I've applied the Jump and Walk animations, but it won't work. The Player won't jump and when walking it stays in the idle animation.

I made it just like it was in the Crash Course, only I used the Idle animation for the Jump animation. This is not the first time this has happened, too...
My goal is to make unique games for all ages.

kid clementina

Hmmm... I don't really think this is a bug, so you should have probably asked this in the questions forum rather than bugs.

This is gonna sound harsh: but if you're new to Stencyl, assume the problem is with you, rather than the program until proven otherwise ;)

So the first thing I would ask, is whether you've got an Animation Manager to make sure the right animation is playing at the right time?

Vulturewing

Yeah, I'm new. And that's not harsh at all, especially since it's true.

As for the Animation Manager well... no, I don't have one.

I must sound so daft right now...

kid clementina

Oh, no, don't worry about it we were all a n00b once! I still am one, most of the time  :D

Well, look up Animation Managers - they will make sure the right animation is playing at the right time, instead of being overridden by the default.

I can't remember if there's one in the crash course, but there's definitely one in the "extended" Jump and Run kit on Stencyl Forge, which is pretty much a more complicated version of the crash course.

Vulturewing

Thank you for all your help! I'll see if that works...

EDIT: also, I don't think you're much of a noob. You seem to be a pretty skilled Stencyler to me.

EDIT(again): unfortunately, the Idle animation still overrides the Walking animations, and the character still won't jump...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:35:44 pm by Vulturewing »

ChunkyMonkey

and the character still won't jump...
Do you have vertical gravity? What about an "on ground" behavior?

Vulturewing

The "On Ground" behavior worked.

I appreciate the help from both of you. I hope I can be as good a Stencyler as either of you one day...

ChunkyMonkey

The "On Ground" behavior worked.

I appreciate the help from both of you. I hope I can be as good a Stencyler as either of you one day...
    I still don't feel like I've finished anything to be greatly proud of. And as kid clementina said about herself "Most of the time, I'm still a noob"