Stencyl 2.0 - Official Release (Updated Apr 21)

djip123

I think i also just gotta wait until its out, and then i gonna start my new game (Heat and Ice)
I will just make the graphic now then :D
Go check out my website: http://gamecow.net

KungFuFurby

I don't think the Mac applications will be compatible on my end... I'm far enough back that compatibility may or may not be a no-go (a Flash wrapper/projector may be compatible, but you'd have to be using a pretty old version of Flash and export it that way).

The biggest shocker would be if there was a comeback on making Java games with Stencyl.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Darkhog

Some questions
1. Is event-based approach already in nightly? If so will we still able to use when created-always-when drawing approach (for compatibility with older games and if we just prefer too)
2. Will executable export be free?
3. If so, will it include Linux natives?

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

ChunkyMonkey

Some questions
1. Is event-based approach already in nightly? If so will we still able to use when created-always-when drawing approach (for compatibility with older games and if we just prefer too)
Event based approach is simply an option. You can still make behaviors.

thechaosengine

Oh neat. I was going to ask if there were any plans to target the Mac app store until I read about this, can I assume that with exporting executables this will become a reality?

Jon

Events aren't a separate system from behaviors. If you consider our original 4 events to be events themselves, then it's like we expanded from those 4 to about 30. It's an undisruptive way to introduce this and for those, for whatever reason, want to do it the old and harder way, they can still do it using the original 4.

Egbert2011Games

Awesome, I will probably wait till this comes out before I start working on my next wholly new game.
I Didn't Know you were Working on a Whole New Game, but I Knew there was Going to be a Dangerous Dungeons 2, I'll be Looking Forward to a Sequel. And I Think StencylWorks 2.0 is Gonna be Amazing!

tabletop

For .exe files, what kind of options will be available? Will it export to a different language entirely or such?

Darkhog

Events aren't a separate system from behaviors. If you consider our original 4 events to be events themselves, then it's like we expanded from those 4 to about 30. It's an undisruptive way to introduce this and for those, for whatever reason, want to do it the old and harder way, they can still do it using the original 4.

OK, that's leaves... 3 questions ;)
1. Is event-based approach already in nightly?

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

gPerry

OK, that's leaves... 3 questions ;)
1. Is event-based approach already in nightly?

I'll answer the first one - yes, events are in the nightlys. I just downloaded it, looks awesome. The biggest improvement in my opinion - configurable collisions (not just "when this actor collided with something").

Rob

I've been testing this for weeks. Should be very easy to understand and useful for any new users. For collision and a lot of new events, there are also choices for repeat/non-repeats ( i.e do once) which can make coding even simpler. Understandably, there are still bugs with event system which should be all be ironed out shortly.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:57:49 pm by Rob »
GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title

TomEllard

Oh bum. (First World Problem)

Happy as I am, now I have to figure out which version I'm going to put on the teaching machines.
  • Do I go with safe secure 1.4 (which is the only sensible choice).

or do I put on the more risky but easier to use 2.0.?

I guess it's about timing. It'll have to be on the image by mid February.

SWATLLAMA

Will the .exe files generate C++ code? Cause if they do... I"m gonna be teh most pwnering pwner in teh wh0le pwner world!
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

rob1221

The event system looks nice, and I like how each event is put into a different group so all the blocks aren't piled on the screen at the same time.  It will really help keep things more organized.