Stencyl 2.0 - Official Release (Updated Apr 21)

Future Freak

Thanks for your help Jon but I'm still finding that if I open an iOS game or convert a game to mobile
I am not seeing these guys :)

That has no bearing on those options. They've always been there and are there for me and others.

Ahh - forgive me - I'm viewing it at home on my PC (not on my work Mac) and we don't have those options on the PC anyway.  However, I don't have the Mobile Game settings tab on the PC either - should I?

Gemini

Another rephrase... are my posts invisible? A yes or no would have been swell...

Jon

@RobT - Maybe for the same reason as paullawton? If you're on a PC, those options won't show.

Jon

Another rephrase... are my posts invisible? A yes or no would have been swell...

We don't plan to add new tile types in 2.x - we've got a lot on our plate before we start tackling that direction.

cloa513

When you said that the help system for StrencylWork 2.0 was going to be improved dramatically, I thought that you'd be making easier for people in the know whether that be experienced Stencyl users, code programmers or people who know intimately about the SW engine to contribute informative help articles (the help is littered with low value stuff like position is position, pause pause the game)  with minimum work but I don't see anything like that so what's the big improvement. Anyone writing help is a big job whether it be your staff or volunteers so pre-set the  space and anyone (with some approval process) can fill in the text.   

Joe

When you said that the help system for StrencylWork 2.0 was going to be improved dramatically, I thought that you'd be making easier for people in the know whether that be experienced Stencyl users, code programmers or people who know intimately about the SW engine to contribute informative help articles (the help is littered with low value stuff like position is position, pause pause the game)  with minimum work but I don't see anything like that so what's the big improvement. Anyone writing help is a big job whether it be your staff or volunteers so pre-set the  space and anyone (with some approval process) can fill in the text.

Stencylpedia used to allow user contributions, but we saw close to zero community involvement, so we decided to do it all in-house. For 2.0, we're going to have a huge section completed on StencylWorks fundamentals that should provide enough baseline knowledge for anyone to get started and do away with some of the common questions we frequently receive.

RobT

@Jon Thanks very much for your attention.

I am on a MAC (best switch I ever made after 20 years of pleasurable pain !) and I'm normally pretty good with problem solving.

Basially at the moment when I open an iOS gamme the SW 2.0 interface does not modify to reflect this. ( Dashboard - MOBILE and Test Game (simulator/device) ).

I'm on OSX 10.6.8 and have installed SW 1.4.1 before. I will get to the bottom of this now I know how the software should behave.

Thanks again :)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:26:41 am by RobT »

Jon

Hmm, I think I know what's up - the nightlies right now omit the istencyl binaries entirely, and the existence of those dictate whether those options show up. So the solution is - hold tight - 2.0 with iOS support is coming soon and what's been keeping me busy.

Naurgalen

Im in the design phase of a game and reading all the improvements you are making to istencyl are really encouraging to learn and try to use it.

RobT

Thanks very much Jon  :D

cloa513

Stencylpedia used to allow user contributions, but we saw close to zero community involvement, so we decided to do it all in-house. For 2.0, we're going to have a huge section completed on StencylWorks fundamentals that should provide enough baseline knowledge for anyone to get started and do away with some of the common questions we frequently receive.

If the requirements for Stencylpedia are the same those for help files then I am not suprised- it was rediculous. It should have been just required people write some appropriate text with some screen shots e.g. take a Stencyl Forum question answer and standardise it. 

Footprint

Will 2.0 support Android? Will you release it before the end of Feb?

Jon

Android isn't planned for 2.0. We're targeting it for the next major release - 2.5.

2.0 is slated to arrive around the end of February. We'll begin an official public beta of it this weekend.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:49:25 am by Jon »

Jon

If the requirements for Stencylpedia are the same those for help files then I am not suprised- it was rediculous. It should have been just required people write some appropriate text with some screen shots e.g. take a Stencyl Forum question answer and standardise it. 

Not the same requirements - people just had to write something, and the quantity and quality just wasn't there. It's not that we're ultra picky, but if you put yourself in the user's perspective and then the writer's perspective, you'll see that writing decent technical documentation is a lot harder than it seems, and much of what you see out there just doesn't work.

The answers given on the forums, while good as a whole, generally don't work well when turned into documentation. The "standardise it" part is more difficult than you might think.

Footprint

Android isn't planned for 2.0. We're targeting it for the next major release - 2.5.

2.0 is slated to arrive around the end of February. We'll begin an official public beta of it this weekend.
Thank you for your answer. I have another question for you. Will 2.0 support "not power of 2" atlas?