Stencyl 2.0 - Official Release (Updated Apr 21)

harshhsrah

Also, the .SWF will not take up 100 MB, that I can guarantee, as the idea is for .SWF's to be on the internet, and it will be next to unplayable if it's that big.

I agree that the swf should be small and it will be small, but I am looking at this the other way round. For instance, If I want to make a game which will be primarily for the pc/mac and then perhaps use a smaller flash version as a demo to promote the game.
The quality and consequently the size of the graphics/sound assets becomes quite large for a PC game because that is what the player wants for casual games these days. So if the .exe build facility in stencyl is going to restrict me to smaller size/low quality games for the PC, it does not serve the purpose.
Correct me if I am wrong, Multimedia Fusion 2 - a similar kind of game making software does allow local builds for PC and a swf and iOS exporter (I would like that kind of thing with stencyl). I have not used Multimedia Fusion 2 and am not sure about the merits/demerits but I have played large size (200MB+) commercially released games for the PC made using that software.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:27:19 am by harshhsrah »

Innes

Correct me if I am wrong, Multimedia Fusion 2 - a similar kind of game making software does allow local builds for PC and a swf and iOS exporter

Correct!

Based on my long experience of Multimedia Fusion 2, and my relatively short experience with Stencyl, not having local builds for Stencyl would be a fair pay-off for the superior development tools.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

inkoqnito

Hello i wonder under Advanced Settings there is something called loading screen style, there you can choose Custom SWF loading screen does this mean that you can get rid of the traditional loading bar as a pro member:)?

kind regards

coleislazy

Hello i wonder under Advanced Settings there is something called loading screen style, there you can choose Custom SWF loading screen does this mean that you can get rid of the traditional loading bar as a pro member:)?

kind regards

We're still working out the details of this feature, but the idea is to allow a user to easily insert a sponsors logo on the preloader screen. Many sponsors require this, but they often provide their logos in SWF or .FLA form. Obviously, only Adobe Flash Pro can open a .FLA file, so embedding an SWF is a way around this.

While we would like to provide more options for the preloader, an embedded SWF cannot really track the load progress of the movie it is embedded in (if anyone knows a way around this, please let me know!).

Ganu

Exe export should be free.

You're still free to export it via the original method. There's nothing I'm doing or can do to prevent that.
So what changes will it bring then?
Currently waiting for joints in stencylworks.

inkoqnito

kind regards

We're still working out the details of this feature, but the idea is to allow a user to easily insert a sponsors logo on the preloader screen. Many sponsors require this, but they often provide their logos in SWF or .FLA form. Obviously, only Adobe Flash Pro can open a .FLA file, so embedding an SWF is a way around this.

While we would like to provide more options for the preloader, an embedded SWF cannot really track the load progress of the movie it is embedded in (if anyone knows a way around this, please let me know!).

Aha i thought it had to do with the loader bar?

But wouldn't it be possible to just do as with the joystick? Have one picture as a background and another as the thing that moves and another that follows and show what have been loaded?

like this:

there

is the background

the

-----------

is the progress

and if you like the

:

the front of the progress like maybe a little head of the hero or something to really have it customzied=)?

Don't know if that would work but think it should be because its just 3 images on top of each other?

Kind regards:)

PrunePlum Games

2 weeks give or take. We're down to finishing Stencylpedia (a huge one), building the new installers, updating the site, non-technical stuff like that.

We've also got a surprise or two in store.
Thanks!

Also, since android has many forms of hardware, I would supply some sort of way for the game to automatically resize itself according to the screen size.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:33:58 pm by PrunePlum Games »

Thanks for the on-going work with this.  :)

Photics

Based on my long experience of Multimedia Fusion 2, and my relatively short experience with Stencyl, not having local builds for Stencyl would be a fair pay-off for the superior development tools.

I don't know... some people are stuck with metered bandwidth... or slow upload speeds.

...or both  :P

Shouldn't the developer have the option? This is global software and some parts of the world don't have it so easy. I'm in New York City, and even my upload speed is kinda slow. And once again, I've had experience with large games. Maybe my post was missed because it's on the bottom of page 20, but one of the reasons I'm here now is because of the awful experience I had before. It... was... AWFUL... having to upload a 100 MB file to the server.

A quote from Jon is a good example...

The main reason why I made it a patch versus a full build is that my internet's upload rate sucks, and it's lot quicker for me to upload just the iOS stuff (6 MB), versus the full 50 MB build.

If Jon is having trouble with upload speeds, isn't it logical to ask, "Hey... maybe forced uploading is a bad in certain situations. Shouldn't we give developers the option?"

Why do you want to assume all that server expense anyway?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:05:32 pm by Photics »
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

1MrPaul1

I can't make AIR myself, FlashCs5 require fla file for exporting, and stencyl swf can't be embed there. Only as link for main swf created in Flash but it's not good and for me have no meaning, because I need native exporting with full using of modern functions of flash.
And 100mb this is not my caprice, this is require of the time, my game not just arcade its rpg, who will buy rpg with 8bit pixel art now? nobody.... Except fun of pixel art of cause, but in this case it will be not commercial project...  we even can't use 256 colors, now 2D games must be graphically very beauty more beauty and stylish than 3D, with large background pictures many staffs, actors and stereo sound it's all eats megabytes so easy....
I already study Stencyl very well and I see that it's really have exiting conception, and unlimited possibilities, everything so thought-out, last thing is ability using of large grafix and many actors and as consequence using of hardware acceleration and exporting to native formats.

SWATLLAMA

Although you can't sell games, you can release them on steam, and I think(THINK@) you can implement some ad service so that you could get some money. Better yet, you'd make a name for yourself for the future.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

1MrPaul1

Yes we can make simple games and use ad for making some money, but I believe in success of StencylWorks and I believe that in future we will be able to make complex games on this platform and sold at least as casual games. We have so great base now, so, solving problems with using of hardware it's a last step to making professional results

Jon

Thanks for your feedback on server builds. I'm going to come up with a sensible local build solution instead.

However, you will have to pull down the AIR SDK to perform those builds - and that's a 120 MB download in itself (one-time). We'll facilitate that part, though.

Miasmos Games

You would still need it for other platforms though, right?

Have'nt read everything, but one thing I want to reply to is this:
who will buy rpg with 8bit pixel art now? nobody....
Perhaps get your facts straight when posting something like that. This game: www.realmofthemadgod.com is phenomenally successful from what I've seen (the server is laggy because of the constantly large number of people on it) and what's this? Pixel art I believe....

Cupcake Bounce

Jon

My friend made this game. Retro, 8-bit graphics. Has done well on both markets.

http://www.legendsofyore.com/