Stencyl 2.0 - Official Release (Updated Apr 21)

Gemini

both of those games sucked me in a few months ago.

There is a growing market for pixel art these days.

1MrPaul1

However, you will have to pull down the AIR SDK to perform those builds - and that's a 120 MB download in itself (one-time). We'll facilitate that part, though.
one time 120 mb it's not too much, if compare with hundreds of megabytes spending on testing trough server

Perhaps get your facts straight when posting something like that. This game: www.realmofthemadgod.com is phenomenally successful from what I've seen (the server is laggy because of the constantly large number of people on it) and what's this? Pixel art I believe....
Good game but it's pseudo pixelart, actors and GUI items there is even in vector with many "Flash" effects... but I don't want to dispute about it.
Have'nt read everything
Yeah.... If you will trying to understand what I want to say, you will know that talking not about pixelart in all...
Of cause pixel games can be successful but more choices and less limitations in Stencyl can give us more chances to make successful games.

RENGAC

Mmhh, I don´t know if I must put this post here or in bugs section. I am testing the last beta release (creating a new blank game, only to see the new features), but I can only test it if I doesnt make any changes to it. Let me explain. I create a new game, put some behavior, and then I can´t test or export. Then I save the game, close Stencyl, and then I reopen the program, reload the game, and then it works. But if I make any other change, I have to do the process again. Any idea?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 05:00:29 am by RENGAC »

coleislazy

My friend made this game. Retro, 8-bit graphics. Has done well on both markets.

http://www.legendsofyore.com/

One of the best purchases I ever made. I absolutely love the fact that he hosts the save files so I can play the same character on my phone or browser.

Jon

Mmhh, I don´t know if I must put this post here or in bugs section. I am testing the last beta release (creating a new blank game, only to see the new features), but I can only test it if I doesnt make any changes to it. Let me explain. I create a new game, put some behavior, and then I can´t test or export. Then I save the game, close Stencyl, and then I reopen the program, reload the game, and then it works. But if I make any other change, I have to do the process again. Any idea?

You have to downgrade from Java 7 back to Java 6. Or wait for us to make a bundled version (it's going to happen this week) that takes out any dependencies on what version of Java you have.

We're realizing this is a growing problem and are acting on it.

SuperMario2207

Can somebody please tell me how to back up my games?
:|        :\
:/        :]                             
:}        :)
:D       =D
XD     <XD

Alexin

Go to File > Workspace and click "View Workspace". Your games are located in the folder "games".
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

KungFuFurby

My music can in theory break the bank if done in an overly excessive fashion... Kung Fu Furby - The Game has at least 50 MB worth of music alone. I have about thirty tracks done for that game, and it's already pretty large. In a very sharp contrast, I did a whole bunch of chopping and quality reduction as a kind of preparation for an online Flash version and came up with about four megabytes for about twenty tracks, the largest one a little over half a megabyte, the smallest being around 32 KB. I have at least fifty planned, but at least ten are getting axed when I embed the sounds into the game. The sound effects, which I currently have at least twenty five of them, are about a quarter of a megabyte. The graphics (there aren't a lot of them, but rather shockingly, I have 120 .png files in there!) take about half a megabyte. The standalone version will have all of the music in exchange for a big filesize (this can break 100 MB... Warning!...), and I may even have a bonus put in there... ^_^
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Photics

Thanks for your feedback on server builds. I'm going to come up with a sensible local build solution instead.

AWESOME!  :D

The 120 MB download is not really an issue. My Internet download speeds are 17x faster than upload.
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

harshhsrah

Thanks for your feedback on server builds. I'm going to come up with a sensible local build solution instead.

However, you will have to pull down the AIR SDK to perform those builds - and that's a 120 MB download in itself (one-time). We'll facilitate that part, though.

This is great. We were already using AIR to export some of our flash projects (non stencyl) to .exe and were hoping to be able to do the same for stencyl projects

Fredrik

Hello, I just have a quick question.
Will I be able to transfer a game made in the Stencyl 2.0 beta into the final version of 2.0 without any problems? Or is it meant solely for testing purposes?

Many thanks,
Fredrik

rob1221

Yes you'll be able to move beta games into the official release, as well as earlier games.

osterzone

Go to File > Workspace and click "View Workspace". Your games are located in the folder "games".

Ok, even though I'm on a Mac, I found my Workspace. Now what?

I don't have the Nightly Build thing set up. How do I set it up? and where should I save it, cause the one post said not to put the beta over the current Stencyl.

Alexin

Back up the games... (ie. copy the games to some other folder)

You don't "set up" the nightly build. Download and unzip the file in some fodler different than the one that contains you current installation of StencylWorks. For instance, unzip it to a folder named "StencyWorks 2.0" in the Desktop.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

osterzone

What are "production games"?