What is the limit to the amount of tiles in a 32*32 tileset?

minedude11

I have been having some trouble running my RPG-style game. I am pretty sure that the problem is because the tilesets I am using have too many tiles, and the compiler doesn't know what to do with them. The game runs, but all I see is the background color. I tested it with a tileset of 2760 32^2 tiles. What's wrong?

Alexin

Did you test using a smaller tilesets and verify it actually is the number of tiles at fault?
Does the scene appear correctly in the Scene Designer?

I'd like to see a screenshot of the problem and possibly the game itself, to further investigate this.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Gemini

or you could just use more organized smaller tilesets...improved performance...work flow... organization

coleislazy

Each tileset is stored as its own image file. In Flash, there is a limit to the size this file can be, so you may be running into that. I don't recall the limit, but it is somewhere around a couple thousand by a couple thousand pixels.

As stated by others, try cutting the tileset into multiple tilesets and see if that helps.

Alexin

Quote from: coleislazy
I don't recall the limit, but it is somewhere around a couple thousand by a couple thousand pixels.
2880x2880
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

minedude11

I have attached two images to this post, one is the scene designer and one is the runtime screenshot. My game is too large to attach directly, because there are 12 tilesets (I had to break up the other ones to get under the limit), so could that be causing a problem?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:24:46 am by minedude11 »

thegenericbanana

I can't see the second image, and I'm sure many can't-It's a .tiff. Make it a png, gif, or something.
Johnny Turbo's Surgery Frenzy

minedude11

There you go. It seems that the top layer of my scene is showing correctly, but everything else is invisible.

coleislazy

Does the size of the tiles match the tile size property of the scene? That is the most common cause of invisible tiles.

minedude11

Every tileset matches every scene (they are all 32*32).

minedude11

I isolated the problem to the tileset causing the problems and deleted it, so the problem is solved.