What happened to curves?

Miasmos Games

OK so this is something that's been bothering me for a while now, but that I've only just thought to ask about here. What happened to the blocks for drawing/adding points to a curve that we used to have? They were next to the blocks for drawing polygons and then they just disappeared in one of the updates (not sure which one)? Was this just an accident or were they taken out for some reason?

Cupcake Bounce

Justin

They were seen to be more of an "advanced" set of blocks, which most people didn't use. I don't believe they were ever supported in iOS, either, so rather than porting them over, they were scrapped. You can still accomplish the same with code.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Miasmos Games

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the quick answer!

Cupcake Bounce

Alexin

The engine doesn't support/expose it anymore but you can still do it.

Code: [Select]
import flash.display.Shape;

private var canvas:Shape = new Shape();

canvas.graphics.lineStyle(1.0, 0xFF0000);
canvas.graphics.moveTo(10, 10);
canvas.graphics.lineTo(20, 20);
canvas.graphics.curveTo(100, 100, 50, 10);
canvas.graphics.endFill();

FlxG.buffer.draw(canvas);
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Miasmos Games

Although I'll be stuck once it gets to iOS, correct?

Cupcake Bounce

Alexin

Correct and, as far as I know, there's no built-in support for curves in OpenGL. You'd have to do it yourself.
I assume Sparrow doesn't support curves or Jon would have included them to match the Flash engine.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Miasmos Games

Justin sent me a link to a topic that talked about this being scrapped.. I think it was pretty much that exact reason, and the fact that noone used it essentially.

Cupcake Bounce