Classic-RPG Team building, sign up now!

Mao Rune

Couldn't decide between this board or Announce your Game!, but I felt this one so if I was mistaken hopefully mods move with no discord. :)

Here is a link to the other thread I made concerning my -- I mean, "our" games general story outlined. You may want to go over that to get a general idea of what this RPG is about.

THIS TOPIC IS A SIGN UP SHEET more or less. I'd rather start in this community (all things considered) to find some people who are serious about buying pro licenses and working together to make a dope-as-hell, classic sprite RPG for mobile devices that can potentially make money in the online app markets.

In this thread please give your contact info; either an email address, skype, or MSN address, etc. and if you're uncomfortable with posting this information publicly feel free to PM me.

Be specific about what you do, how you do; and, if possible, present some form of example(s) of your work.

DON'T FREAK. I'm not a meanie. I'm a leader, but this is a team effort. I'm always down to listen to your ideas and opinions. Like I corrected myself (for lol's) earlier, this isn't my game. It's our game.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR::.
Currently I'm completely new to Stencyl. But don't panic. I'm not necessarily a game designer myself. I've had years of experience working on teams (not for profit gain) that built using the RPG Maker series engines for other RPGs. I mostly did writing for story boards and dialogue, but I did some graphic design (mostly spriting) as well. Though, I'm really good at brain-storming the visuals and mechanics in idea and paper forms. I can be very descriptive of what I see and want, and if need be I'm not bad at sketching and blue-prints.

What I need out of a team is generally everything. Programmers, graphics designers, etc. and most importantly people that know how to work stencyl. I will be learning stencyl along the way, I've already put in a lot of time in the past few days that I've had it; researching, learning techniques, the whole shibang. I'm not just here to sit behind a desk and tell who to do what and when I need my coffee. :)

You may think by reading all of this that I'm not professional. That's not the case at all. I'm just friendly and have a sense of good sport and fun. I've been around enough big-wigs to know that acting stiff just makes the days longer with less friends. We'll have all sorts of fun together! But keep in mind that we are going to be as professional as possible in production, productivity, and distribution. My personal goal due by the end of the week is to have my legalities together for licensing and pay. Yes, you'll get paid. I don't know when yet, but I'll let you know when I know and you're always free to go if it's too sketchy. God it sounds sketchy... -.-

WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE AND FEELS LIKE::.
Now, for you programmers and graphics designers still reading: here's the DL.
Ever played the Mana series, or possibly the popular iPhone and Android game Zenonia? This is a kind of look and feel we're going for.
We of course want originality to deem our game our own, but we're running for the cute sprite look. It feels flush and smooth; looks sexy, but adorable. It's a hack 'n' slash. A single class is ran through the whole game (if you read my story line basics in the link, you'll understand it's a single actor/character) who may have the option to change weapons types, but we'll get into that in the business meetings.

For our hero, we're going to want sprites that are small enough to not lose cuteness -- but big enough to allow minor OR major cosmetic changes such as armor types and weapons, possibly even to the nitty gritty like gloves and shoes. Another thing we can discuss as a team, totally debatable.

Our story will take place in a fantasy-medieval base world. I have some sketch designs for the architecture styles but again, these are all things we can talk about, debate, and agree on.

The HUD is the most important part (I believe) to any touch-screen based game. I've got a few different ideas on exactly how we can execute it with originality and class without it being too sloppy or "mushed" together. My favorite right now, for example, is a completely clean display that relies on all menus being accessed by just touching the player character / actor. Initially bringing up a bubble-style window for items; with tabs on top for weapons, skills, exp, settings, save, etc.
In the settings you can select if you're right or left handed. This is all for the combat. If right handed, for example, the player swipes the right side of the screen up and down or left and right to swing his weapon. Touching the screen causes the actor to run towards the finger -- FINGER, not the point on the map. Making the actor continuously run in that direction until released. Opening chests, picking up items, talking to npcs and all other non-combat interaction is completed through simple touching. Clean, easy, and cool.

TEAMWORK::.
I've pulled together some resources for us to keep our work tightly together so we all know what's going on, what needs to be going on, and when it needs to be done. There's an app for Android and iPhone called Any.DO that allows the sharing of to-do lists. As a group we can easily keep in contact and up-to-date with what our current goals are and how far along they are. There is also a program called Drop Box for PC, Mac, and Linux that makes team-work file sharing a breeze. It's free and works like a charm.

These are just a few ways we can work together without going unheard for days and losing interests. And it's cool.

That's about it for right now. Comments, questions, applicants, get to posting!

Contact me to talk under the table: MSN and email: dragoonvince@gmail.com, Skype: Swagginstine.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:56:43 am by Mao Rune »

GameGeek

Hello,
I'm interested in your project, sounds like it could be fun and a challenge to build!
I'm up for it.

Well, I guess you could call me a graphic designer, but I can double as a music/ sound effects person, if you would like. I use programs such as GIMP and Bryce 7 for Graphics, and programs like Audacity and Mixcraft for Music and Sound Effects.

One thing, will we need the full version of Stencyl? Because I don't have that and don't feel it's nessecary to have when at least 1 member of our team has it for licensing and legal stuff.

Please PM me if you would like samples of my audio work or graphic work!
GameGeek  :D
If the sky's the limit, why are there footprints on the moon?

GameZone

I could be a graphics designer. I'll even have the latest version of Stencyl. I just need a little more information...

Oh, and, by the way, this is the right section. I wanted to state that before I forgot.
How can you be enjoyed when you are an immature annoyance in at least ONE way?

thegenericbanana

I could be a graphics designer. I'll even have the latest version of Stencyl. I just need a little more information...

Oh, and, by the way, this is the right section. I wanted to state that before I forgot.
Latest version of stencyl? You mean iStencyl? Because having the latest version of stencyl isn't something outstanding :P
Johnny Turbo's Surgery Frenzy

Mao Rune

Thanks for showing interest, guys. :) I'll send PMs out tonight to GameZone and GameGeek.

@GameZone & GameGeek: do you both have skype by chance?

GameGeek

Ok I couldn't figure out how you attach something to a private message that's an audio file, so I figured I'd just post it here. Sorry for the hassle. :)

-GameGeek

Mao Rune

Ok I couldn't figure out how you attach something to a private message that's an audio file, so I figured I'd just post it here. Sorry for the hassle. :)

-GameGeek
I'm actually replying on my phone (lol) so I can't listen right now. I'm currently installing windows on my computer. Been using the Ubuntu verson of Stencyl but I've had a few issues and there's other things I'd rather just do in windows. :P

GameGeek

That's cool. There's no rush in listening to it :D

By the way, I don't have Skype, but I do have some apps on my iPod that do the same things as Skype. (video calls, groups calls, chat, etc.) The best one is Nimbuzz, which does everything Skype can do.

:) GameGeek

GameZone

Nope. Don't have Skype. And the e-mail I used to make my account with has it's password forgotten.

Mao Rune

@GameGeek: I can't play your file type. Do you have anything in .mp3 or other more common types?

@GameZone: What's the best way for you to chat

GameGeek

I'm sorry, I forgot to convert it yesterday! Ok well here's an MP3 just like you asked. Again, sorry about that.  :)

GameZone

@GameZone: What's the best way for you to chat

Well, we could have a thread here and we all show our current progress from time to time. If that can't work for you, well then I'm out.

SWATLLAMA

Don't those email thingies have a chat function? I wouldn't know, since I don't know how to use email. This damn new technology. Like those phones and tablet toys.

Why don't you guys talk over Stencyl IRC?
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

GameZone

Hey, we could also use the chat. It's your choice, Mao Rune.

Rexasul

I can offer music and other kinds of sound design. Attached is a rough draft of an overworld theme I did a while ago, inspired mainly by Chrono Trigger. Some of the instruments sound quite abrasive, it was however my first attempt at orchestration.
my website |>>| shadowlabs.net