Basic Match 3 Kit [Updated for 3.0]

rob1221

I have started a match 3 kit to help developers who want to make a game like that but are not sure where to start.  I have uploaded it to StencylForge as "Basic Match 3 Kit" and you can also try it here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10977

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:34:17 am by rob1221 »

Hectate

Good job so far! I will say that I was expecting more Bejeweled and less Tetris; so the game caught me off guard when I initially started it.

Edit: and I like that you have it set up to recognize a Match-5. It's an easy trap to fall into to code in support for 3-of-a-kind and neglect to recognize what should happen when there's more than just 3.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:18:03 pm by Hectate »
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

rob1221

I know a lot of match-3 games use random maps with some sort of piece switching, and I plan to add that in too.  For the matches, I set each block to check the blocks around itself when it stops moving.  Then after a short delay, all the matched blocks kill themselves.

EDIT: I uploaded my progress so far. Switching pieces seems to work for the most part, but there's a bug where if you click one piece, then another 2 pieces over, then the middle piece, the first clicked piece disappears.  I'm taking a short break from this kit while I continue to work on my main game project but once I'm done with that, I'll make this kit my main focus.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:03:59 am by rob1221 »

airman4

really cool and interesting stuff

thanks very much for the share!

Satori

Sorry to necropost, but I'm going through the kit attempting to find the code for the actual match and replace algorithms.  They don't appear to be in the Behaviors.  Does anyone know where they actually are?  (Timing and delay codes are in there, along with something that calls the matching code, but I didn't see any actual matching code itself.)

rob1221

It's the CheckMatches event in Block Behavior.

Satori

Phenomenal!  Thank you so much, rob1221!

rob1221

The kit has an improved 3.0 version with the same name.  It's been there for a while, but I forgot to update this thread.