What do you need to create a first person shooter?[solved]

omgitskara

Hi, I'm just wondering what tools would I need to create a game with first person view and basic 3D maps? I realize this probably can not be done with stencyl. Also how much code knowledge would this require?

Thanks,
Kara  ;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:41:14 pm by omgitskara »

SWATLLAMA

Unity3D.

A lot of code. It'd be best to either use Javascript or C# in Unity.

A lot of work. To make a fully functioning one would take a long time by yourself.
If you don't already know some code, a few years I'm guessing.
Oh, and you also have to be able to 3D model.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

coleislazy

You could make a pseudo-3D game like the old "Doom" games, but that would require a ton of custom code and I wouldn't even know where to begin.

omgitskara

Thanks for the reply! Is this software open source?  This is an example of the game type I'd like to create.
http://www.mochigames.com/game/urban-warfare-2/ Its a really basic game. I'm not afraid of a lot of hard work though I hope a game like this does not take years to make. (education and creation time)

I don't require a professional software and I's really like to find an open source one. =]

I refuse to believe a game like the one i linked requires mastery in javascript. =[ I can see doom being more on the expert level because of its size and is a bit more interactive. If there are any ebooks out there I could buy on this subject that would be awesome. I'm currently reading essential action script 3. If i need to buy a couple more 900+pg books ,that is fine with me.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:21:28 pm by omgitskara »

SWATLLAMA

That was made in Adobe Flash. Using Actionscript.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Ryusui

Unity would still probably be your best bet, if only because you'd need to program the engine and tools all by yourself if you went with Flash.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Hectate

If you're really set on a true FPS, I'd recommend using a pre-made engine that was specifically designed for it. The Quake and Doom code has all been released by id to open source specs and there are quite a few projects that take advantage of them. Other 3D engines like Crystal Space and Ogre 3D, as well as perhaps Blender Game Engine, would be other good places to start if you really want to create the FPS portion of the game from scratch.

Modding games is by far a superior entry-level experience in creating FPS-type games. If you don't have it already, I'd suggest Half-Life 2 or some other Source engine game (which can be gotten inexpensively, perhaps even free now) and look into the modding scene where there's a lot of established work and tutorials to learn from.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

omgitskara

Thanks guys, its really kind of you to help me out. I am new to this stuff and i'm just seeing what my boundaries are. After I finish my horribly boring action script3 book and get comfortable with making flash games as seen here, I will definitely download unity 3D and perhaps buy the book to it. Its funny that you guys mention Doom because I'd love to make a game of that type. In the future (far future) I hope to head design an MMORPG with first person view.  :D

Edit: oops unity pro costs $1500, I suppose I will be researching free ones then. :P

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:22:09 pm by omgitskara »

Ryusui

The free edition of Unity is still full-featured and allows you to publish and sell games. Pro just adds some extra bells and whistles.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

omgitskara