It's hard to make a good/fun game [Discussion]

Abigayl

Don't worry too much about the hits after the initial startup unless your game gets some sort of "bonus" (i.e. badges on Kongregate). For example, my game The Lonely Square, the top Stencyl game on Kongregate (even above Balls in Space) gets less than ELEVEN hits per day. If your game is getting 15 per day, that's beating out my top game :D. In the end, hits don't mean much unless you know how to advertise (something I need to learn about obviously :P).

As for making a good game, it is indeed hard. First, just coming up with a new gaming idea is tough... so many types of games have been made over the years that it's difficult to be truly original. Then, you have to have the art for it, so one must either be a good artist or learn how to be a good artist or hire an artist, any of which are difficult to do. Then comes the programming of the game, in which even the best programmers get bugs and unwanted effects. Afterwards comes balancing the game, which IMO is the hardest step of all: making it accessible to newcomers but challenging to veterans. Making games is NOT easy, but it CAN be very rewarding if you can stick with it and enjoy the process :)
If you need help, please check my tutorials either here or Kongregate (http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/Abigayl) or come over to my stream: http://www.livestream.com/poweredbyflowers

1MrPaul1

Yeah... it's so hard to make games...  and even more hard to make hard games...
I making rpg now, and everyday, everything became more harder and harder... Many players, many staffs, weapons, many enemies, skills, guests, AI, different magic... Oh ho ho It's so complex that I even don't know from which side to start this work...
But with Stencyl I think everything is possible.
Eyes afraid - hands making

Lympha

We all have times where we suck at something, but later on, as we get more experienced, it's all getting much easier. But that's no reason to give up so soon. Keep in mind that everything takes effort, you can't make a character in a minute and call it an object. Try to visualize what you're going to create, once you know exactly what you want, draw it. This should take time, no matter how skillful you are.
And if you really think the problem lies in your drawing skills, well, I guess you should do some practice, but abandoning something completely, just because stuff doesn't work out in the beginning is, excuse my French, plain idiocy.
Need criticism on a game? Don't hesitate to PM me.

airman4

The harder is to make your game just noticed.

that's it.

rob1221

Good flash games usually get plenty of attention from players if you upload to at least NG, Kong, Mochi distribution, and Flash Game Distribution (FGD).  For uploading to FGL (for sponsorship) your views will be based on your icon and editor's rating.

airman4

humm okay

but still i dont really believe into the automatic success based on quality

It's more a fairytale , i'm very careful with that kind os success stories

You gonna say "it's your problem dude"
Then yeah i know , it's personnal , it's just my own opinion on that subject

« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:36:04 pm by airman4 »

GreenGuy

If your a fast learner and take the time to learn... it will only take a year to get good at making your own game. its a lot better if you have a team. even if its only a few people. I'm with a team of 3 myself.
i have been creating graphics for a game i am making (Renewal)
for just under two months, and i would like to say i am
getting pretty good at it already! not saying
i'm any good or anything, just a lot better
then i used to be. and i'm not getting
any worse :) put your mind on a
game... then bring it to life!!!!
________________,.-*'Renewal'*-.,________________
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,10615.0.html
------------------------'*-.,Renewal,.-*'------------------------

osiaslemuel

Success is built on failure.

h1rnz1lla

you guys should watch this video of an industry veteran taking on an indie game, he says a lot of true things about "good games":

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012372/From-Zero-to-Time-Magazine

Max Finch

Yea this does happen, I used to get this alot. In fact my first game only got around 100-200 plays.
That was also when I was on Game Salad. seems forever ago.

But anyways don't give up!!! In the end tutorials.. tutorials.. tutorials!!! and lots of hard work bugs/fix's later and when you sit back and look at what you've completed... You feel good. A good game is something the developer would want to play, and something he/she has worked on and put time into :)

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

^^ Caps lock is serious!

Silux

listening to great music while programming helps!
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

Manuel

I agree, music helps me to "unblock" my thinking. Drawing sketches helps, too.
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

GregAnims

You're spoilt.

You see some amazing shit on the internet and expect to be able to match that immediately - then get dissapointed, frustrated and feel inadequate when you cant. Now you don't want to make games because it makes you feel bad. You're not seeing the years of experience behind those titles.

The solution is to set yourself newbie goals:

- draw a character
- get a working sprite into a game
- finish a 1 level game
- finish a game
- finish a game of ______ genre
- get a game sponsored

Focus on failure breeds failure; focusing on success breeds success. Most of the challenge of any endevour is mindset. These challenges of the mind are the same for any task, whether it be sports, art, life.. The best part about working toward a goal is not the end result, those material things wont last - but the way it develops you as a person. You are constantly hitting walls, and have to re-consider your beliefs/character/ego in order to smash down that wall, continue and internalize a new belief.

Compare a man who has been working toward goals for the last 10 years of his life to a man who stayed in his mothers basement accepting no challenge. One blames his circumstances, the other makes his circumstances. One is smashed about by the waves of life, the other is centered like a stone tower that others gravitate towards. One is a manchild, the other has real life lessons to teach his child. One is carved from stone, soon to be carved from diamond. What kind of man are you gonna be?

Silux

Focus on failure breeds failure; focusing on success breeds success. Most of the challenge of any endevour is mindset. These challenges of the mind are the same for any task, whether it be sports, art, life.. The best part about working toward a goal is not the end result, those material things wont last - but the way it develops you as a person. You are constantly hitting walls, and have to re-consider your beliefs/character/ego in order to smash down that wall, continue and internalize a new belief.

Compare a man who has been working toward goals for the last 10 years of his life to a man who stayed in his mothers basement accepting no challenge. One blames his circumstances, the other makes his circumstances. One is smashed about by the waves of life, the other is centered like a stone tower that others gravitate towards. One is a manchild, the other has real life lessons to teach his child. One is carved from stone, soon to be carved from diamond. What kind of man are you gonna be?
Inspiring speech!
You should really make a game about that and insert a speech like that in.
Bonus point as you really made what you say!
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

I couldn't let this go by without a response. Kant, Decartes, Plato, Artistotle ... the words spoken by these philosophers remains taught today, and in my opinion those words pale in comparison to the core philosophical values of what you just said. These words should be printed on t-shirts, put on billboards and in replacement of advertisements. This should be the inspirational thought for a day ... everyday, to be taught for lifetimes.

Thank you for that. I am truly inspired.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:03:01 am by DylanGamesEvelyn »