It's hard to make a good/fun game [Discussion]

mikbob

Your Graphics are fine (Better than mine by far) but the problem is they don't seem professional enough. I know that getting an artist can be a massive hassle but why not just get the art of StencylForge that is under Public Domain or Creative Commons.

Visit Our Site!  http://www.mikbobgames.com
Play The Platforms 2!  http://bit.ly/theplatforms2
Check out our twitter!  www.twitter.com/mikbobgames

Galdon2004

Yeah, my artwork is also horridly bad. I have huge hands so holding a pen/pencil is painful to do and limits my practice. And of course the lack of smooth artwork gives an unpolished look to my games as a first impression.

I usually post my games on kongregate but i start to wonder if that site is a bad choice; games with grwat art but with game-breaking bugs score higher than games with bad art but solid gameplay regularly.

As for my games i notice the disheartening trend that the more time i spend working on a game, the lower a rating i recieve.

Silux

just ask for feedback here before Kongregate.
Kong people expect good and polished games to come out.

Art does a great job, but if you can't reach the end of the game or you must drop half way because of the game, expect people snipe down your game.
However if the art is amazing and there are minor issues in game-play sometime people overrate the game to encourage the developer and point out what miss in comments.

The most valuable stat of a game is number of plays.If it goes past 1000 on kongregate then it's worthy to be expanded or made a sequel.Number of views is the main stats on which your revenue is based on!

If you are weak at doing graphic art use programs like paint.net or inkscape like i do and take time practicing and doing tutorials.
This is a long way, but gives your efforts back multiplied!

Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

LRJ52

Well i made 3 games so far. Beginners don't make super good games...thats normal..people need to learn but....

Less than 15 game plays in total for the 3 games/day. This tells me 1 thing. My games are not bad...they are worse than bad.

I think it is mainly because i am probably the worst graphic artist on the entire planet.

Do you guys agree. Maybe i better abandon the idea of making games and dedicate all my time in learning to draw....
no IM the worst graphic artist on the planet AND I have the worst games, im takeing time to make youtube vids for now...

down below is some of my artwork :(

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:33:10 am by LRJ52 »

GreenGuy

Well i made 3 games so far. Beginners don't make super good games...thats normal..people need to learn but....

Less than 15 game plays in total for the 3 games/day. This tells me 1 thing. My games are not bad...they are worse than bad.

I think it is mainly because i am probably the worst graphic artist on the entire planet.

Do you guys agree. Maybe i better abandon the idea of making games and dedicate all my time in learning to draw....
no IM the worst graphic artist on the planet AND I have the worst games, im takeing time to make youtube vids for now...

down below is some of my artwork :(

made me smile^
________________,.-*'Renewal'*-.,________________
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,10615.0.html
------------------------'*-.,Renewal,.-*'------------------------

Robanderson

Maybe i better abandon the idea of making games and dedicate all my time in learning to draw....

Don't just give up! Creating more and more games is a sign of progress. Someday you'll create the perfect games you've ever created.

Silux

i was considering myself a bad artist too, before learning to use inkscape.
I don't blame tools like MSPaint for giving bad output, but using better tools can help.
Currently working at:

h1rnz1lla

if you guys are into a good gamedesign theory read, you should visit this site: http://keithburgun.net
he works for dinofarmgame which builds auro at the moment. pretty cool stuff.

Silux

There are some good concept here!
Currently working at:

zxharysa016

Hey! any tips on how to start a board game? thanks!  :D

SUPER HITOPS

Bad art, bad game names.. they can turn people off from playing your game for sure. There are SO MANY GAMES OUT THERE! it's really crazy.

Also; People usually are more likely to play games that already have a high number of plays/popularity.

However, don't think that low plays = bad game. Did you do anything to publicize your game?

Even with an amazing game, you can't just make it and expect people to play it all of a sudden. You need to publicize it on different forums, facebook, twitter (starting during dev with previews of whats to come, to build interest), game review sites, and so on.

Even the best game will have 0 plays if nobody knows about it.

Also ; maybe your game is too hard or too easy and people stop playing because of that. I know super hard games turn me off, where as others might prefer them. I think generally though, games that are super hard right off the bat, or have hard to learn mechanics/controls, just cannot hold peoples attention when there are so many games available.

Before you release your final game, have friends and forum users preview and test it for you and tweak things to make it more playable/addictive based on their feedback.

QwertyB

Don't read too much into "15 plays a day". Even the most fickle of us are led by the game's title and box art. If it has an Adobe Fireworks "look how fancy this font is" type font and a really really generic name, or something that sounds like a working title (i.e. the game is just named after the mechanic the person was trying to implement) them I'm unlikely to check it out; maybe as a curious designer noobie but not as a player.

SovereignVis

Hey everyone, This is my first post on here. I have always wanted to make my own games. But I never really had the time or right programs to do it. For me the easiest part is doing the graphics. (I am a graphic designer by the way) I don't know much about coding in flash, well just the basics for web design stuff, but not for games. I think to make a really good game you first need to get the game mechanics down right. If the game plays like crap and doesn't run smoothly people won't like it. Then later you work on making it look nice.
I think what I might try doing is making a thread that will focus on mastering the coding and game mechanics. Problem is I'm very new to this program and have no real game coding knowledge. :(
So I was hoping I could find a few pro coders to help me master everything I would need to make an awesome game. Then maybe I could teach others on here how to make awesome graphics for their games.  :)