Penny Arcade iphone

zerosimms

I'm now a few days from submitting my iPhone game Penny Arcade!! I've got highscores, in app purchases, unlock able items and "maps" to play in this re-imagining of an old arcade classic!

In this game you control a "catcher" you collect the yellow coins and avoid the red, very simple yet very addictive. I've spent about two weeks on this making sure it feels and looks professional and that there's enough variety to keep people coming back!
If apple approve my in app purchasable the game will be free, players can use the coins they collect to buy more items or cheat and buy coins for real cash.

All that's left to do is polish up some areas, add more sound effects/music and purchase the iOS plugin for stencly :-)

Anyway here are some screenshots of the game for your viewing, id be interested in feedback at this stage.

RENGAC

Look good, but canĀ“t give you feedback about gameplay without playing it.

Jon

Cool looking game. One thing that sticks out though is the name - you think these guys would mind?

http://penny-arcade.com/comic

zerosimms

Haha not sure, but penny arcades have been around for years in the uk and I'm pretty sure my game doesn't step into the "penny arcade" comic arena. Good news is, (for me at least) I've got that name on the app store!!! I was expecting it to be taken already.

Out of curiosity, for non uk residents what does "penny arcade" conger up in your mind?

Jon

That comic strip - it's a very popular webcomic and also has a rather extensive Wikipedia entry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Arcade_(webcomic)

Rhys

I'm from the UK and I think of the comic too. I've never been to a physical arcade, though.

zerosimms

Well to be honest, either way I'm submitting it, I've never heard of this penny arcade comic before until now, I don't see how the two could step on each others toes, it's just a name. Speak to your parents, I'm pretty sure they would of heard of a penny arcade, you only have to visit the coast to play in a penny arcade, for me it was Hastings, great memories, that's what I want to recreate, that feeling, that atmosphere and that type of gameplay. If someone else has an issue with that, fair enough it's a small world :-)

zerosimms

I'm from the UK and I think of the comic too. I've never been to a physical arcade, though.

Get all the pennies you own and head down to the closest coast line, you'll find the arcade machines I'm talking about :-)

Old school, physical, coin dropping arcade action!

KungFuFurby

The way I think of penny arcade, not counting the comic, is probably games that cost a penny, and (I'm really winging it here) the coin itself, depending on the timing, may or may not give you a prize.

If that's not right, then... well, I myself am an American, so there are some vocabulary that I sometimes have to look up.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

irock

I've never read Penny Arcade, but I know it exists. It's a REALLY popular, and it's probably the only thing a lot of people associate the name "penny arcade" with.