GS versus Stencyl thread at Gs forums !! (and went on many tangents)

Basseman

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/39939/gs-or-stencyl#Item_18

People over there seem to have NO clue whatsoever of what iStencyl is capable of.

Cheers !!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:27:46 pm by Jon »

RENGAC

Well, I´m newbie on Stencyl, I don´t want to enter in a discussion like "mine´s is better, yours sucks" (like PC-MAC, PS3-Xbox, StarWars-StarTreck discussions), but the thing is that I Stencyl is very easy and fun for me, and that Gamesalad can export to HTML5, but no for Flash, and this is a winner issue for Stencyl, for my point of view.
As always, at the end it´s not the power of the program, but the user´s imagination and creativity to do good games. (And sorry for my english  ;D)

SWATLLAMA

Whichever is better is based on opinion. If you want something that is buggy, hard to use, and doesn't export to flash, then Gamesalad is better. If you want something functional, Stencyl is better.

It's all on opinion. :)
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

sparkyidr

I just responded in the GS thread.
As a user of both (GS for 2yrs, Stencyl just for a month or so..but I like it), hopefully I have given a fair and balanced reply.

Deffo not a case of one being better than the other.
They are both quite different tools.

Miasmos Games

I think a lot of the time it's just new users making mistakes with the programme, or not getting it to work perfectly on the first time, and making the generalisation that it's Stencyl's fault. Most of the "problems" these people claim to have are usually just issues on their end :P

Cupcake Bounce

ckriel

I think a lot of the time it's just new users making mistakes with the programme, or not getting it to work perfectly on the first time, and making the generalisation that it's Stencyl's fault. Most of the "problems" these people claim to have are usually just issues on their end :P

Perhaps there wouldn't be so many of these if the documentation were a bit better. Stencyl is great, but like ay powerful tool,it requires comprehensive documentation.

Miasmos Games

And it is coming, it's just a matter of waiting. Stencyl 2.0 is set to be shipped with a better/more comprehensive version of Stencylpedia.

Cupcake Bounce

1MrPaul1

Stencyl it is a future! People on those forum posts (about failure of stencyl) writing, that make games by means of programming it's better. But it's so stupid. Why people need to make machine work and writing strange symbols, take care about punctuation and hard syntax, all of this things machine can make in seconds, but machine can't add a logic in game can't bring life in it. It can make only humans. Everyone must make their job, machinig must calculating, people must imagine and creating. So, Stencyl concept allows us to make human works and leave machine work to the machines.
I never even can't imagine that somehow I will be able to make complex games, but now, with Stencyl I can (watch the screenshoot).
when i tried to make games in flash, i just made simple menu with mouse click, and it's all, checking syntax and writing code for me it's just a nightmare...
I have only one issue. With output of the game.
 iStencyl is greate of cause, but in my country it's very expensive, even buy the apple account it's a big problem. And now, after launching of "very progressive", "very fast" and "very compatible with old flash games" flash player 11, i even can't upload my game to kong or other sites. Because if early in flash player 10.3 my game always works in 60fps even on full screen, now in flash player 11 it works in just 40 fps even in regulare mode... Sad fact.  But later, when it will be possible to output games to android and exe native applications, and use hardware acceleration of flash, stencyl will became a leader. And all of this talkings about failure of Stencyl, it's talkings of those programmers who just afraid that in future they will get to many rivals with Stencyl... And they just afraid to lose their bread. And all those talkings just to prove true success of Stencyl!

SWATLLAMA

What country are you in, Mr. Paul?

Oh, and I don't see why the 20 fps reduction is so bad. I only get 20-30 fps in most flash games, and they run very smoothly for me.

As for the istencyl price, hell yeah it's expensive! I think Jon is slightly overpricing it at $150 - that's $250 for iStencyl and the apple developer license. If it were $50-75,  or even $100, I'd pay for it.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Joe

As for the istencyl price, hell yeah it's expensive! I think Jon is slightly overpricing it at $150 - that's $250 for iStencyl and the apple developer license. If it were $50-75,  or even $100, I'd pay for it.

If you're a student, you're eligible to purchase a year-long subscription for $99. We obviously can't control Apple's costs.

captaincomic

I don't know nothing about Game Salad, but out of curiosity I read that thread and found that Game Salad costs $499. That's a lot! (I'm a GNU/Linux user, so I never pay for software :) so it sounds even more expensive to me.)

mukowAPPS

yeah, 500 is pretty steep... and their HTML5 publishing sucks hardcore (your restricted to 480x320 resolution and you can only publish to THEIR arcade), the android has pretty bad sound delay issues, and bug fixes almost always take at least a month.

i personally think istencyl price is pretty cheap/reasonable.

Sunflower

Well, I don't know anything about that software either, but it seems that many of GS users are sticking with it due to the changes which would come in several months.
Which makes me wonder, what Stencyl will come up with until these changes will be made! O.o' If the time of adding changes in GS really is *that* slow, I'm afraid Stencyl will be miles away until then.

But yes, from what I read here and there, in order to get rid of those few advantages of GS, we need HTML5 support... which was planned, anyway, and, like, improve the documentation... but isn't it the purpose of Stencylpedia 2.0? It seems that SW has been on a right track, anyway! ^_^'