GS versus Stencyl thread at Gs forums !! (and went on many tangents)

irock

Stencyl's blocks are not a substitute for code; they are code. Stencyl users are becoming coders, whether they realize it or not. Once they learn the statements that correspond to all those colorful LEGO bricks, the transformation is complete - and yet I wouldn't blame them in the slightest if they kept using blocks, relying only on pure AS3 for the fiddlier bits.
I'd say that using design mode isn't teaching anyone coding. You're not learning anything about code by learning and using design mode; you're learning how to program. It's almost a semantics thing though.

1MrPaul1

But Irock, I can use simple example. Now, with StencylWorks, I'm alone, can make more complex game than in 1996 big industry company Electronic Arts did. This is not because I'm more clevear than all those guys from EA team, it's just because I have Stencyl that makes for me all hard work. Somehow I tried to watch how made sprites in SEGA games, it's all was in binary code, colors was coded, object position coded.... How it can be more easy than automated programing like in stencyl...
Also, Stencyl is not finished yet, yes, we have some problems now, and may be sometimes, using code is more easy, but everything is grows up, for example events system in 2.0. It can make placing blocks more easy than writing the same code by any super fast and genius programer... I think... I hope....

irock

A person alone can make games more complex than an SNES game with coding too. it has nothing to do with the fact that you're not using a programming language.

As far as I know, events in 2.0 just expose a feature to design mode that previously could only be done in code mode.

I really don't know what you're trying to argue here. The fact is:
game designers who can code have an advantage over game designers who can't.

You can not dispute that.

Ryusui

"More complex than a SNES game"? I'd love to see someone make a Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger-quality JRPG in Stencyl.

That's not sarcasm, BTW...think of it as a challenge. :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Jon

Stencyl's blocks are not a substitute for code; they are code. Stencyl users are becoming coders, whether they realize it or not. Once they learn the statements that correspond to all those colorful LEGO bricks, the transformation is complete - and yet I wouldn't blame them in the slightest if they kept using blocks, relying only on pure AS3 for the fiddlier bits.
I'd say that using design mode isn't teaching anyone coding. You're not learning anything about code by learning and using design mode; you're learning how to program. It's almost a semantics thing though.

The interesting thing about this is that learning how to program is easily the more important of the two skills to grasp. Put another way, we're trying to impart the ability for someone to master the art of thinking logically / computationally. It's much like what I've observed in English class when a foreign exchange student takes it. They are just as brilliant, if not more so, in their ideas - the problem is that they lack the proper medium (English) to convey them in writing or spoken word.

When the time comes, those who've mastered the ability to think logically could pick up coding on a dime because they've built up a toolbox of skills and grasped the concepts without ever having seen real code.

1MrPaul1

I just want to say that Stencyl rocks.

Alexin

Wow, that was diplomatic. =]
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Photics

What I like about this thread is that the original "Coke vs. Pepsi" like debate became irrelevant. :D
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Ennui

Hey guys I'm new here...that thread on gamesalad is actually what brought me over.

I discovered GS last Saturday and in the comfort of my own home happily ported a kinect game we developed back in August over to the ipad in literally 2 hours. Naturally I was over the moon with what GS can achieve although there were certain small limitations that made me slightly nervous about forking out 500 dollars. Then that thread made me realize that there was a competitor software and so far I'm very impressed.

In reply to Jon above, I am a testament to his logic. I work professionally creating interactive application prototypes such as projection mapped art installations etc and the software which I used to create these applications is a visual programming tool (The tool is touchdesigner, its useless for games development though).

Within a year of using this tool I suddenly realised that I was using script dats to write my own code and implement alongside the visual tool too. I can see that Stencyl has the same properties that touch has and am really excited about that.

As far as programmers looking down on people who use visual aids...I've never met a client or gamer who cares how the game was made...only what the games like to play.

P.S. Coke  ;D

Rob

What I like about this thread is that the original "Coke vs. Pepsi" like debate became irrelevant. :D

I was into Diet Pepsi back then but lately I've been a Diet Coke guy. I think they changed the ingredient in pepsi and meanwhile the taste of coke got a lot better. Seriously.

I've to say the GS vs Stencyl thread is more vocal and juicy in the other camp. People too mellow here, I guess.
GOLDEN RULE #1 : SAVE YOUR GAMES FREQUENTLY
IOS/XCODE DEBUGGING
http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/xcode-ios-troubleshoot/
WATCH STENCYLWORKS VIDEO TUTORIAL BY SUNRISEKINGDOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfRfjzr9j4&feature=channel_video_title

Photics

P.S. Coke  ;D

In the voice of the Dos Equis Man...

I don't always drink sodas. But when I do, I prefer Sprite.

...no wait... 7up...

Eh, I've even been know to drink Sierra Mist if the other two are not available.  :D

People too mellow here, I guess.

I find that to be a refreshing change.
...like a cold can Sprite or 7up.  8)
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Hectate

Vernor's Ginger Ale is my sweet poison of choice.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Dizko

I was into Diet Pepsi back then but lately I've been a Diet Coke guy. I think they changed the ingredient in pepsi and meanwhile the taste of coke got a lot better. Seriously.

I've to say the GS vs Stencyl thread is more vocal and juicy in the other camp. People too mellow here, I guess.

I think this community is a bit more relaxed and mellow for sure.

SWATLLAMA

Barqs Root Beer forever. :) Shwepps Ginger Ale is great, but  I think all ginger-ale is very nice. It's a sweet casual drink. Mmm, up with regular stuff, down with that diet and cherry and whatever other terrible stuff they are making.

Yeah, I love the community here.

I used gamesalad for a day or two, but left because of the lack of documentation.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible